CPU overheating temps jumping around

ipfresco

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
I have a Vaio laptop E series VPCEB35FG with Intel Core i3-370M with 4Mb ram running under Windows 7. Computer was running ok before I replaced the cpu heat paste (thought it would be nice to run it cooler though). Now having replaced the heat paste with Arctic Silver 5 and following all instructions Real Temp shows the cpu temperatures sometimes zooming around sometimes 25 degrees celsius in a second with only Windows idle programs running and crashing. Sometimes I've had it running for several hours other times it will hardly boot or last 5 minutes once booted then crash. I've now replaced the thermal paste a dozen times meticulously following best practise & can't get it to run properly. One issue I had when originally taking out the heatsink was that it was stuck to the cpu and hard to release. Maybe I ruined the cpu? Any ideas anyone.

With new thermal paste the computer now idles at around 40 celsius, but any load shoots temp to the stratosphere (90 is tj max). I have turned off windows update-- which was causing all the heavy cpu usage and only open one tab at a time in Chrome. I think my issue is a bad cpu since it has no problem idling but crashes with medium to heavy load on cpu. Can get a cheap cpu at ebay.

Anybody any ideas if I'm doing the right thing?

ipfresco

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
Thanks for that. Yes I cleaned with isopropyl with lint free so nice and shiny. I'll check out the video-- looks the same as what I do but I'll go over it carefully