CPU overheats or bad sensors?

conan_barbarian

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
HI guys.Its about an asus x55vd-sx037d.CPU temperatures reaches 75-80 degress in games (and i read that my tjmax is 85 degrees so im way to close to tjmax) and my gpu 65 degrees(i think its ok here).The problem is i tried everything ..cleaning the laptop,repasting(although the man from the service said that my temperatures are ok) ,i even bought a good cooler..same temperatures(maybe a bit lower),and i have to note that my laptop its quite new.Also my fan is running at 3800rpm when heavy gaming(i know nothing about this..)Another thing is that after i bought that cooler,my laptop feels much colder on its surface..It might be a bad sensor or this is the temperature that my laptop is supposed to work?

Solution

On second thought, perhaps it is a bit worrisome. On my current laptop, idle temps are around 44 - 48. When I do any sort of menial task such as opening a tab in my browser, I get around 64 - 66. When I open up Skype and AIM (don't ask why I have AIM) I get 72 and then steady to 68. When I run Prime95, my temps max at 79 and then stay at 78. My TJMax is...

Deus Gladiorum

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013

That sounds about right. Unless you've modified the casing of your laptop so as to accommodate a Heat Sink and fan directly onto the CPU, then you can expect a laptop's CPU temps to be pretty hot.

I assume the cooler you bought isn't a CPU Heat Sink, but is one of those thermal pads which you put your laptop on top of, right? I don't use one (I don't have a gaming laptop and there's no need on my school laptop) but I believe that those don't dissipate CPU heat too much. They mostly dissipate heat from your casing, and indirectly may cool your internals a bit more. It's the same with desktop casing logic. Case fans can only cool your rig so much, and are mostly to dissipate hot air, but to really cool any actual part requires a heat sink mounted onto said part.

Your tjmax (Thermal Junction Maximum) is not the point where your PC shuts down to prevent issues. Your tjmax is the point where your CPU throttles. As long as you're not experiencing any performance issues in games, then you're fine.

If it truly concerns you though, try a second opinion with Hardware Monitor:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
However, it'll be likely that if there's a sensor issue (which I don't think there is) then Hardware Monitor would probably yield the same results. Still, I'm pretty sure your temps are fine. Even on my school laptop when I game my CPU temps get pretty high, probably around the 70 degree range pretty easily.

conan_barbarian

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
You sure my temperatures are fine?cuz everywhere i read most say that i should keep my temperatures 20 degrees lower than tjmax because otherwise it can lower my laptop lifespan.Maybe my laptop has a bad design?..cuz i read that most people with tjmax 85 degress have 70 degrees at most...And btw i forgot to say that when testing with prime95 i got 82 degrees..isnt this worrisome?

Deus Gladiorum

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013

On second thought, perhaps it is a bit worrisome. On my current laptop, idle temps are around 44 - 48. When I do any sort of menial task such as opening a tab in my browser, I get around 64 - 66. When I open up Skype and AIM (don't ask why I have AIM) I get 72 and then steady to 68. When I run Prime95, my temps max at 79 and then stay at 78. My TJMax is 100 degrees.

I guess the temps are a little too high, but they're not truly problematic unless you plan on keeping that laptop for more than 6 years or you're actually reaching that 85 degree threshold. Right now, all this should be doing is causing you to sweat a bit, but it shouldn't be shortening the lifespan of the CPU by much. CPUs are built to last incredibly long, and are more durable than your HDD or GPU for example (unless you bend some pins). Still, let's see what the problem may be.

Alright, well you said you repasted your CPU, right? Now are you sure that you cleaned it properly before you applied new paste? If you didn't use 99% or greater Isopropyl Alcohol (or at least 91%, assuming the inactive ingredient is water) then that might be the source of your problem. Contaminants can really destroy the effectiveness of thermal paste, as can dried thermal paste that hasn't been properly removed.

Solution