CPU Speed Stuck. probably not software related - Please help if you can

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015
Hello, i'm robert and i need your help to solve an issue i face with my laptop. Please help if you can

As the title says, my cpu speed is stuck at 0.77Ghz, it always stay like that even in the most needed/stressed situations.

Here are the specs
- Toshiba Satellite L755 S5349
- CPU Intel -i3 2330M 2-4HT ( i use the integrated graphics) - 6Gb Ram.
Bios is up to date. CPU- Chipset and PCB are not overheating. Got a selfmade cooler on them

At the beginning before all of this i used a software (Throttle stop i think it was ) to overclock the cpu. (yes i thought it's capable of OC-it but i3 is locked) after 3-4 days i noticed my machine is running/moving slow, so i checked what's wrong with it and i noticed it was stuck at 0.77Ghz all the time. I tried entering in Bios and see if there's anything changeable but laptops don't have much configurations.. all it had was "Dynamic Switch" and "Multi Core" if i disabled "dynamic" then it would always run at 0.77 BUT it's ENABLED, now i tried DISABLING "Multi Core" now what that did is it disabled 1 Core and the HT technology. But after booting windows the difference was that the CPU would actually run normally as it supposed to.. FULL SPEED when needed and 0.77 in idle.

I tried another thing in hope that it would be a software related issue like windows maybe, i decided to do a fresh install of it's original OS win 7 but problem was still there, then i did a fresh install of 8.1.. still didn't worked !!

Now what i found out after all this was surprising for me ( i reinstalled "Throttle Stop" on a different clean OS ) in hope of setting manually the multiplier to 22 - 2.2Ghz... and it worked !! 2.2Ghz in full speed and 0.77 idle.
Only thing that bothers me is that i always have to start the app when windows restarts and i kinda would want my pc to run normal again... i haven't tested it out on linux yet if it does the same thing.

SO ANY HELP WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED.

sorry if it's the wrong section.

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
See if there is an option to set the program back to system defaults. If not you may need to uninstall the program and reset BIOS back to recommended defaults.

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015

There's nothing to set back in the program, this is the 3rd clean OS now. and bios is at it's default.

I'm glad you toke the time to reply to this, but i'm not sure if u read/understood what i said there.

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
I did read it. You said you removed the config. If the program has ties to the BIOS. Removing the config alone may not set it back to default.

This is why I recommended seeing if the program actually has a "set defaults" option as some do, and also why I recommend setting recommended defaults in the BIOS again.

You may have had it on default previous to the software changes but it may no longer be in defaults.

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015

Oh i see now, thanks.
Well i checked but the software does not have any option like that. and i also set bios back to defaults.

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
Can you check device manager and see if any drivers are missing? You said you reinstalled windows right? Did you ever apply the chipset drivers for your motherboard?

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from RobbeyRobert : "CPU Clock speed Frozen"

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015

Got it. I just thought I posted this in the wrong section... and somehow I posted the second one in the same section.

mikef845

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

Many laptops require both a working battery and genuine power supply to get full performance. The power supply can't supply enough power by itself. Also the battery can't supply enough power by itself.
So I guess either a new battery is needed, or Throttle Stop is still needed.