Solved! CPU usage higher than GPU usage when gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2018
I currently have a Dell Inspiron 7577 with an Intel i7-7700HQ and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Max-Q. My problem is that the Intel Integrated Graphics usage is higher than that of the Nvidia. Is there any way to fix this?

Things that I've tried:

1. Changed the preferred graphics processor to the Nvidia card in the Nvidia Control Panel

2. Added games to the graphics settings of Windows 10 and set all the games to high performance

3.Battery settings are set to Best Performance

4.Updated the drivers

Solution
You can lower settings without changing resolution also. If you can't get any higher FPS then it seems to be the max the system can run it at. Check benchmarks for your video card in the game.
Dec 31, 2018

I get around 90-120 FPS on fortnite while settings are on low. The annoying thing is it drops below 60 FPS when im in a build fight, the stuttering pisses me off so much. I've only had this laptop for 6 months, do you think it needs a repaste?

Unless it's overheating, no, and if it's 6 months old you don't want to be taking it apart and having a possible issue with warranty.

The Max-Q is a lower power version of the 1060, not really a "real" 1060 setup. Compare your results with benchmarks online for similar systems. Also you would want to check your power options and make sure you are testing things on wall power. I would go into BIOS and Windows power management and check on that, set things to the higher performance settings.

Dec 31, 2018
Hello, thank you for your replies. I think I found the root of the problem. While I was playing fortnite, I tried changing the graphics quality to the presets (low, medium, high, and epic). From the low-high presets I got about 130 fps but when I got to epic it dropped to around 70-80. Is it possible that the laptop is limitting its performance? because even at low graphics I peaked at 130 fps but it is much more consistent when compared to when I am using the high graphics preset.

P.S. I had FPS limit turned off in both Fortnite and Nvidia Control Panel.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Of course the higher quality settings will lead to lower FPS. How smooth a game plays would be an average of the FPS (with some other things more complex to get into easily), if the range between lowest and highest is large then games won't seem as smooth. On lower graphics you may have only been dropping to 110 fps to 130 high, on higher you may be going to 90 to 130 so won't seem as smooth.

Dec 31, 2018

The problem is that even on low settings, I still get around 130 fps. The 3D resolution of the low settings on Fortnite is 480p if im not mistaken, see vid: https://youtu.be/9eLxSOoSdjY

Status
Not open for further replies.