CPU-Z says I have a different motherboard than I actually have

jamesnatsu

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
Hi, when I use programs like CPU-Z to check my hardware specs, it tells me I have a different MB than I actually have. It says I have a G1 Sniper B5 when I have B6. Can anyone help?

Solution
It indeed seems that there is a B5 version installed instead of a B6 but for good measure here is a picture of the system. So I basically just have to put a B6 update on it right?

*WARNING THIS COULD BRICK YOUR SYSTEM, and I wont be held responsible
in theory, if your board IS indeed a B6 then getting a B6 bios and update the board to the latest should not adversely affect your board.
in theory, if a B5 bios was put in by mistake it shows how little differences there are between the B5 and B6 board
in theory if all goes well, and the world is not flat, you should not have a problem.
in reality.. if you bought the B6 board and it has a B5 Bios, and it was NEW, I would wonder as to why the factory (short of a simple mistake) did...

jamesnatsu

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018

Well the problem is I bought this gaming pc via internet, from a 16 year old kid who needed money for his drivers license. I want to eventually upgrade the GPU so I need to know if my MB has a 2.0 or 3.0 pci version. I also used dxdiag and Speccy to check it and they both give me a B5. My desktop has a opens side which I can use to see the led lightning of the MB and on the motherboard it says B6, so I am confused.

jamesnatsu

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018

Yeah I can check via the side of the PC case, which is see through because the MB has green leds. There it says, on the MB, that it is a B6 but when I check in dxdiag or other software programs it states I have a B5. I need to know which one it really is because if I want to upgrade my gpu, I need to know if I have a 3.0 compatible PCI, which the B5 doesn't have.

YoAndy

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017

The GPU will work just fine on PCIe 2.0.

jamesnatsu

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018

I did both, all programs say it's B5 when the sticker says B6, that is what confuses me.

jamesnatsu

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018

Yes it does but as far as I know the gpu loses half of it's actual power. At least that's what I read about upgrading gpu's. I just got a pc again after 12 years so I am fairly new to all the modern stuff.

kanewolf

Judicious
Look at the pictures on Gigabyte's website The B6 picture shows hash marks along the back edge of the board. The B5 picture doesn't have that.
The B6 has the "Socket 1150 parallel to the DIMM slots the B5 is perpendicular.
The B6 has an M.2 slot and the B5 doesn't.

It should be easy to identify, based on those characteristics which board you have.

jamesnatsu

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018

Yeah I checked multiple times, it's a B6. How come then that dxdiag, speccy and others tell me it's a B5?

cryoburner

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

That's not actually true. PCIe 3.0 offers up to double the theoretical bandwidth of a PCIe 2.0 slot with the same number of lanes, but that doesn't translate to double the performance, and actually only effects a card's overall performance by a very small degree. Even with a high-end graphics card like a GTX 1080, the performance difference should be a few percent or less, depending on the game, and there should be even less of an impact with mid-range cards. If your motherboard only supported PCIe 2.0, it wouldn't make a noticeable difference.

jamesnatsu

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018

It indeed seems that there is a B5 version installed instead of a B6 but for good measure here is a picture of the system.
bnqwa8qpfgf.png

So I basically just have to put a B6 update on it right?

jamesnatsu

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018

Hmm okay, good to know man. Thanks!

It indeed seems that there is a B5 version installed instead of a B6 but for good measure here is a picture of the system. So I basically just have to put a B6 update on it right?

*WARNING THIS COULD BRICK YOUR SYSTEM, and I wont be held responsible
in theory, if your board IS indeed a B6 then getting a B6 bios and update the board to the latest should not adversely affect your board.
in theory, if a B5 bios was put in by mistake it shows how little differences there are between the B5 and B6 board
in theory if all goes well, and the world is not flat, you should not have a problem.
in reality.. if you bought the B6 board and it has a B5 Bios, and it was NEW, I would wonder as to why the factory (short of a simple mistake) did that.
If your board was purchase REFURBED it is possible the B5 bios was put it because of USB 3 issues with a B6 bios.. leading a re-bios to a bricking.

would I do it... yeah... but its your penny my friend.

Solution

jamesnatsu

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018

Right, clear as glass. Would I run into problems when I eventually would try to upgrade the GPU with the bios version I have now? I bought the pc from a kid so I don't really know if he did that or the manufacturer put that version on.