crack/static sound when changing channel and on start up

stefre

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
hi. my home theatre speakers make a loud'ish crack/static sound when i turn the tv on (less than a second), and when i am changing channel. they work fine otherwise. any advice? thanks
also there is a long (3-4 seconds) delay (as though on mute) before sound is resumed.

Solution
No problem, if it has been in storage, and it was not climate controlled, this can play hell with the circuitry - especially on amps of an inferior quality. I would do as you said, and get a new amp to at least safeguard your speakers.

Good luck, and happy listening.

K.
The static crack on startup is because you are turning the amp on BEFORE the TV, and the TV is emitting some line noise when powered on. To avoid this, it is ALWAYS good practice to turn the amp on last, that goes for all HiFi systems too - LAST item to be turned ON, and FIRST Item to be turned OFF. This does sometimes happen when changing channels, but is far less common. What make and model is the TV and the A/V system?

stefre

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
hi, i've just tried it and it didn't work. i have a samsung 9000 tv and a pioneer theater including a vsx 531 amp. i know its cheap and nasty but it does the job for the living room. i have a better set up in the lounge.

In that case, it is the amp giving the static noise - as well as the TV pushing a line noise through when you turn the TV on. Normally speaking, you should not hear anything when the amp is switched on, but if it is low quality, it will be missing the noise suppressors and a smooth voltage control. Be careful that over time the cracking noise does not ruin your speaker drivers!

stefre

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
thanks. it has been in storage for a few years, but i don't recall the same noise when i had it installed previously. thanks again. probably time for a new amp!

No problem, if it has been in storage, and it was not climate controlled, this can play hell with the circuitry - especially on amps of an inferior quality. I would do as you said, and get a new amp to at least safeguard your speakers.

Good luck, and happy listening.

K.

Solution