Crackling/Popping sound from laptop speakers even when using headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizuki1408

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015
I have an HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC. The oddest thing happened the other day, I didn't drop my laptop or do anything out of the ordinary to it. One minute the speakers are fine, the next minute there is a frequent popping or crackling sound coming every 20 seconds or so, even while using headphones.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver from the product website to no avail.

However, there is this one driver that always has a yellow exclamation mark on it called the "High Definition Audio Device". It would make sense that this driver is the culprit but its been yellow for a month now without any popping or crackling sound and it is absolutely impossible to resolve it. I completely uninstalled and re-installed my sound drivers and that didn't fix it and windows troubleshooter can't find the driver either.

I'm at a loss here guys. I don't want to have to replace the speakers on a one year old computer but I might have to. Thank you in advance for any help I can get.

Solution
PERMANENTLY RESOLVE HP SPEAKER COMPRESSION (HISSING, CRACKLING DISTORTION WHEN PLAYING VIDEO, MUSIC, ETC)

The problem is caused by Bang and Olufsen audio correction compression - you need to change the driver from Realtek,
to the normal high definition device driver. This affects a lot of HP models with B&O sound. The first part disables the
Realtek driver - the second deletes it permanently.

It's simple and takes 2-3 minutes.

CLICK START - GO TO DEVICE MANAGER
IN THE LIST CLICK 'SOUND VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLERS'
RIGHT CLICK 'REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE' - CHOOSE DISABLE - IGNORE WARNING AND CONTINUE
RIGHT CLICK SAME FILE CHOOSE 'UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE' THEN 'BROWSE COMPUTER FOR DEVICE SOFTWARE'
CHOOSE 'LET ME PICK FROM A...

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Ha you tried to back up your hard-drive and find a restore point before your problem started taking it back to that time see if it's back to normal.
Remember if you try that full battery charge and mains plug in throughout restore.

Mizuki1408

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015

That didn't make a difference unfortunately. I also tried taking it apart to see if I can find any loose wires since the headphones also have a popping sound not just the speakers. I'm honestly convinced it's the "High Definition Audio Device" driver that has a code 10 "the device cannot start". It's impossible to find a driver for it though, it isn't on the hp website and windows cant find it automatically. I don't know what to do

Mizuki1408

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015
Ok, so this is really odd, but it seems to have done the trick for now. I downloaded and installed the 64-bit driver from this link

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsview.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Even though the driver in the driver manager is still yellow, the popping has gone away. I don't know if this is only temporary but I've been watching videos for about ten minutes without a single pop

Edit: going on 20 minutes of video with no popping sounds. At least now I know it isn't hardware isn't and its just the driver causing it

makka64

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
PERMANENTLY RESOLVE HP SPEAKER COMPRESSION (HISSING, CRACKLING DISTORTION WHEN PLAYING VIDEO, MUSIC, ETC)

The problem is caused by Bang and Olufsen audio correction compression - you need to change the driver from Realtek,
to the normal high definition device driver. This affects a lot of HP models with B&O sound. The first part disables the
Realtek driver - the second deletes it permanently.

It's simple and takes 2-3 minutes.

CLICK START - GO TO DEVICE MANAGER
IN THE LIST CLICK 'SOUND VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLERS'
RIGHT CLICK 'REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE' - CHOOSE DISABLE - IGNORE WARNING AND CONTINUE
RIGHT CLICK SAME FILE CHOOSE 'UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE' THEN 'BROWSE COMPUTER FOR DEVICE SOFTWARE'
CHOOSE 'LET ME PICK FROM A LIST OF DEVICE DRIVERS ON MY COMPUTER'
HIGHLIGHT 'HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO' (NOT REALTEK) CLICK 'NEXT' AGAIN IGNORE WARNING AND CLICK 'YES' -
RESTART / REBOOT WHEN PROMPTED

PLAY A FILE - YOU NOW HAVE NORMAL LAPTOP SOUND!

***IMPORTANT - THE DRIVER WILL REVERT TO REALTEK THE NEXT TIME YOU REBOOT, UNLESS YOU DO THE SECOND PART BELOW)***

AFTER REBOOT (TO **PERMANENTLY GET RID OF THE PROBLEM**)

CLICK START - GO TO THE CONTROL PANEL - 'UNINSTALL A PROGRAM'
HIGHLIGHT REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE AND UNINSTALL

IT'S AN IDEA TO CREATE A RESTORE POINT BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS IN CASE YOU MAKE A MISTAKE - IF YOU HAVE AN EARLIER
RESTORE POINT YOU CAN SIMPLY ROLL BACK TO THAT. IT IS SIMPLE THOUGH IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. MAKE SURE YOU WANT
TO PERMANENTLY GET RID OF B&O BEFORE UNINSTALLING.

Solution

Green_

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016

You are a genius

nikstar01

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Wow. I can't believe this just fixed my problem ( started when I upgraded to Win 8.1 and was worse on 10)
Thank you SO much. I pretty much had given up watching any videos because of that and the distorted sounds, Thanks again! Now to try and figure out how to do the backup without losing all of my info. LOL.

Ragneesh

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
My Dell Inspiron had the same issue. Thank you so much for posting the fix! you saved me a lot of anguish. I was just about to trash this laptop! I followed your instructions to the letter and everything works perfectly now! Thanks again.

Mizuki1408

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015

Thank you so much for this, your advice has helped me through 2 computers with the same issue. Cheers!

joemerz

Estimable
Feb 27, 2015

I came across this solution but I'm stuck when at the point to update the driver. "it does not show "highdefinition audio" as an option. It only shows realtek audio. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. Thanks.

Namgninnur

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016

best and easiest solution found!!!!! Thank you so much!!!! Finally got my sound back!!!!! :D

cooldude4172

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016

Is there anyway for me to redownload the realtek/B&O again if I want to and also will it make sound quality worse?

bolldog

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

bolldog

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
!!! I had a terrible whistle/pip sound every time i start my DELL Inspiron 15 win 10. The above solution has solved the issue. Very good solution.

Thank you!!

Damian_TTM

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
For my case, i am using Prostar P770ZM and the popping sound came from the bluetooth driver issue after i connect my Samsung Gear Circle. So what i did was go to Device manager and scroll down to Sound, Video and Game controller which you can see one or more component software other than the main like AMD or Nvidia HD Audio things and etc...
Look at the most recent sound component that you might have add to the laptops so mine will be the Gear Circle Hands Free and Gear Circle Bluetooth Headphone component softwares.
What i did, i double clicked into these component softwares and completely uninstall them (Not Disable) and there it solved my speaker problem.
I hope this could save you guys from spending irrelevant part replacement or time wasting warranty replacement and repair.

Have a nice day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.