Craigslist: We're Singled Out for Erotic Services

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

....I can't believe the sheer IGNORANCE of some of these posters: JLW3, I bet you are really McMasters in disguise.

1. Craig's list has closed submissions for their erotic services section. In 3 or so days, those posts that were on there (about 8) are going to expire and the section will cease to even exist. Can people not wait 72 hours before going on a holy crusade?! Like me and perhaps you posters (unless you're living off welfare checks and have nothing else to do but troll threads) craig's list employees are entitled to work an 8 hour shift. Because of the sheer number of posts they would have to go through (there is more to the United States than the po-dunk town of greenville) they would have to spend time going through an unknown number of posts across the United States AND refund everyones posts that did not get their full advertising time (it costs money to advertise in the E.S. section). It's understandable that Craig's list would wait a day or two and let things die off naturally than to scurry about in a panic trying to appease McMasters, someone with whom Craig's List owes nothing to.
2. If you want to talk about doing people justice (ie stopping sex slaves, etc) then I hope you're doing or have done something about it. Participate in your community by doing outreach to troubled teens (which I'm currently involved in and which some posters are eluding to is the common prostitute). These kids ran away from an abusive parent/situation which would have probably got them killed if they stayed. They have no where to go and surprise, still need food and shelter. They can't get a job because the jobs are taken/ they are not 'hireable' because they don't have a phone number or even clean clothes. They feel that selling themselves is the only way to survive, and they need help to understand that that is not true, that they can live a good life, and that people care about them. If you're participating in your community and doing something about what you believe in, then fantastic. If you're just talking smack about your morals yet don't feel like helping people that could use your help (which I agree that prostitution is not something that should be considered acceptable) then stfu.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]outacontrolpimp[/nom]I dont think craigslist should be criminalized at all. They are offering a free service. just like with all the torrent crap, go after the law breakers, not the suppliers. I could use myspace to advertise myself as a pimp looking for hoes, criminalize myspace now too?[/citation]

You can't sue a prostitute for damages. Unless she knowingly gives you AIDS. Hah.

G

I saw, blame the bad image on the media (as usual). They always take something and blow it out of proportion. Take for instance, my friend's dad. Not a web user at all. He tells my friend, "help me sell some tools on eBay, because they say they're gonna shut 'em down!". Craigslist is one of the most helpful websites ever. It doesn't deserve a bad rap at all.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
call me immoral or waht ever , but i actually see nothgin wrong with prostituion beyound the fact that it being illeagla makes it natrually graitate towards other illeagal activites. i say leagallize prostitution antion wide adn you wil take out many oth the other ileagal elements that are involved with it (such as drugs and the like).

i think it is a woman's bodya dn they shoudl avhe teh right to do with it as they pelae , even it it is selling it in sex , granted i think it is sad when this isa womans's only means of income , I jsut don't liek lwas that stipulate morals to people. in soem cases this is a girl'ls only emansn fro livign , and i'd see it as far better if didnt ahve a huge criminal elemnt tied to it like it does , making it leagal would eliminate such elements from the "buisness"

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]JWL3[/nom]No one is talking about criminalizing Craig's list fools. It's the sex section in Craig's list that is the problem.Ignoring the argument about whether or not prostitution should be legalized, it currently is illegal. Therefore, any postings on magazines, papers, websites, for prostitution should be illegal. If Craig's List had a section titled "Murder for hire" to hook up killers and someone who wants someone else whacked, there'd be an uproar, and rightly so. This is the same legal premise. Craig's list can't claim as its defense that it's just providing a medium for posters.[/citation]

actually prostitution is NOT illeagal every where , it is quite legal in nevada , craig's list could make the argument that that section is only for the state of nevada (but then again they would have to eliminate any listing from other state locations , to make this an arguable fact )

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]what if the services are provided free of charge, does that make all sex and sexual discussion illegal?[/citation]

technically NO if i make an add in a pper saying whie male wil give sex freeely , thiere is NOTHING any oen can do about it , but if i say White male , will give sex for 1 dollar , or give sex for food , it suddenly becomes illeagal

Status
Not open for further replies.