Credit Card Phishing Site Found on Sony Servers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is the third time my details have been lost/stolen!

Twice by my goverment, (NHS and CSA details) and once by corporation (Sony)

I am retracting from an online presence as much as possible!

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]other companies have gone threw worse than this[/citation]

through.

It's a shame that this has happened to Sony, but, maybe they deserved this for their silly memory cards

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
You people saying Sony should have done better on security may be right but in reality you are wrong. Any company from Google to Microsoft to Apple to Government Agencies etc. can and have been hacked if someone targets them with a dedicated group with a "cause". There is no way of securing your network 100% no matter what you do.

Even if you were to completely cut yourself off from any exterior connections there will still always be the human factor and social hacking methods to get access to companies networks. Any system created by man can be circumvented by man. Has always been and will always be that way.

And that is just your average everyday disorganized hackers that can do all that to anyone. Now Sony on the other hand really appears to be the target of the most organized attack ever seen to date on a company. Every last division of the company and unconnected networks/websites are being selectively targeted to be hacked.

Really, if there was ever a case of something being called "cyber-warfare" then what is happening to Sony right now is exactly it. A very large scale constant and brutal attack on all their resources at once. NO company, no matter what name you substitute for Sony would not suffer a similar fate.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
This could happen on ANY server. Just because it's Sony, the media thinks they need to publish it and trash the name even more? gg

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
It's really kind of misleading to always state the 77 million users figure, as the only information on sony's servers not publicly available in a phone book was credit cards, and not only do we not know if they were taken (as they were encrypted), there were only some 15ish million of those, a far cry from the 77 million everyone's throwing around.

I just don't get why there's such a focus on this particular incident, there have been much larger breaches before that hardly got any publicity, where hackers actually got information people cared about and we were sure of it.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Damn, Sony just can't catch a break here lately.

Though being a company as big as they are, that does provide credit cards this poor of security is inexcusable. They need to take a serious internal onceover or face some pretty gim consequences. Here's hoping it isn't too late for them.

web11

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I call it karma. I hope Sony serves as an example to all other companies who dare screwing with the homebrew community. Out with the playstation, I hope sega sees this as an opportunity to jump back on the console market.

G

[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Doubtful.Good bye PlayStation division, maybe, but goodbye the entire Sony Corporation? Nah.I betcha Microsoft is checking and double checking their Live servers non-stop right now.[/citation]

oops... thats what i meant. goodbye Playstation. :p

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
People keep complaining about the past and how much effort Sony could do or should do - in the past. Thing is, we don't know what the future holds. Can't really expect for everyone to be alert on everything. There's limit on everything.

I'm tired of seeing, "Sony should do this...", "Sony's a bastard", or "Anonymous is the one to blame" comment. Why not learn from the past and do something better for the future.

Complaining only helps when there's action to it.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]web11[/nom]I call it karma. I hope Sony serves as an example to all other companies who dare screwing with the homebrew community. Out with the playstation, I hope sega sees this as an opportunity to jump back on the console market.[/citation]
Ya. People understand if it is posted once. It is not necessary to keep pasting the same comment over and over.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]You people saying Sony should have done better on security may be right but in reality you are wrong. Any company from Google to Microsoft to Apple to Government Agencies etc. can and have been hacked if someone targets them with a dedicated group with a "cause". There is no way of securing your network 100% no matter what you do. Even if you were to completely cut yourself off from any exterior connections there will still always be the human factor and social hacking methods to get access to companies networks. Any system created by man can be circumvented by man. Has always been and will always be that way. And that is just your average everyday disorganized hackers that can do all that to anyone. Now Sony on the other hand really appears to be the target of the most organized attack ever seen to date on a company. Every last division of the company and unconnected networks/websites are being selectively targeted to be hacked. Really, if there was ever a case of something being called "cyber-warfare" then what is happening to Sony right now is exactly it. A very large scale constant and brutal attack on all their resources at once. NO company, no matter what name you substitute for Sony would not suffer a similar fate.[/citation]
Only problem is, Sony's security flaws were known to them before the whole incident got out of control, it's the managers who thought they wouldn't have to patch it up because they thought nobody would exploit the flaw, and patching up the flaw (until then) was considered to be a costly procedure. It's called a principal agent problem and in U.S you would expect them to be fired at the very least, if not get a trial because they did not act in the interest of shareholders.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]It's not like Sony did this on purpose, they got hacked. Anybody can get hacked, it all depends on the system's security and the knowledge and patience of the hacker.[/citation]
Unpatched servers with known vulnerabilities = Fail.

That is all.

rrmyguy

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I still think someone on the inside had a lot to do with it..... security flaws or not, someone on the inside is at least giving up information.....

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Mastercard and Visa have been hacked...heck even Paypal got hit when they first started out...

the SIZE of the hacking is the big thing here...but hey, I'm looking forward to my free games :D (u can even choose LBP! I own it already but, that's a cool game!)

Status
Not open for further replies.