Question Critical Battery Trigger Met?

drlarryvon

Estimable
Feb 15, 2017
I am running a Dell Lattitude E6440 01, laptop, 8gb memory, 500gb HD.
This happened twice now. Last night watching a movie streaming, with microsoft edge, after about 1 hour, system apparently shuts down, screen goes black..? hit the power button comes back quickly, and resumes where I left off.
Checked temp of cores, 51 c max.
Then ran intel diagnostics for chip, no errors, also checked temp hit 57 c, but system never shut down. Ran HD diagnositics, no problem
Then checked windows logs, and found this:
CRITICAL BATTERY TRIGGER MET
SYSTEM ENTERING SLEEP.
Evidently my system entered sleep mode.. why?
Also, battery is not charging holding at 5%.

So where is the problem here?

Thanks,

Good job doing your diagnosis! Was the system plugged into external power when the shutdown happened? However, it sounds like it might be a battery problem. Less likely, but also possible is an internal charger problem. I recall seeing a Dell battery diagnostic a few years back. You might try to find that and run it. A typical battery is good for 500-1000 or so charging cycles before it degrades significantly. How old is the machine? Do you typically run plugged in or is the battery cycled a lot? Let us know what you find out.

If you decide to change the battery yourself, make sure you follow ESD precautions. I would also look for the service manual for your machine on line before you open it up. The service manual is more trustworthy than the "experts" posting youtube videos.

drlarryvon

Estimable
Feb 15, 2017
Good job doing your diagnosis! Was the system plugged into external power when the shutdown happened? However, it sounds like it might be a battery problem. Less likely, but also possible is an internal charger problem. I recall seeing a Dell battery diagnostic a few years back. You might try to find that and run it. A typical battery is good for 500-1000 or so charging cycles before it degrades significantly. How old is the machine? Do you typically run plugged in or is the battery cycled a lot? Let us know what you find out.

If you decide to change the battery yourself, make sure you follow ESD precautions. I would also look for the service manual for your machine on line before you open it up. The service manual is more trustworthy than the "experts" posting youtube videos.
I typically run plugged in all the time. Also, how about just removing the battery, not replacing it and running off the charger or adaptor?