Crytek Artist Accidentally Confirms Xbox 720 'Durango' Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

builder4

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Why does Microsoft want to keep a code name secret? It's not as if it reveals anything about the final product or the final release name.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
[citation][nom]builder4[/nom]Why does Microsoft want to keep a code name secret? It's not as if it reveals anything about the final product or the final release name.[/citation]
It's all about the money. The existence of a project name means that Microsoft is actively working on the next Xbox. Microsoft is probably afraid that this might convince some people to hold off on purchasing the current system and wait for the next one.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Seriously, why not create a PC with console like customized Windows. AMD could design the APU with 800 or 1000 stream processors, which should be enough for awhile. The games would sense the BIOS/hardware and set the graphics settings accordingly. Those with more powerful systems would have expanded customizations. No more worrying about future compatibility, and less waste of money for research. Set the games prices to $20 - $30 and there won't be any piracy issues.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Microsoft is probably afraid that this might convince some people to hold off on purchasing the current system and wait for the next one.

Not this early in the development cycle. With only a code name the next Xbox isn't going to be released any time soon. End of next year at soonest if you're optimistic. If you're buying a car, you might wait that long. Certainly not a video game console.

I don't understand the extreme secrecy this early in the cycle over information that is basically irrelevant. Everyone knows there is going to be a new XBox even if MS hasn't announced anything. Why bother deleting the tweet of a that isn't going to be the real name of the console? If it actually revealed something of technical importance, I could understand to a degree.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Marthian[/nom]Since it got deleted.[/citation]brb, going to create a twit acc and claim I am engineer of xbox next, then call the new code name Murango. \o/

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Dude, the name of the thing doesn't matter..... xbox, crapbox, psdumbdumb.... whatever...

It's the technical aspect that counts and sets the competition.... not like it matters....

DeViLzzz2007

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Please tell me they will come up with a better name than Xbox 720 or Durango for the new system ..... :Z I understand the codename is Durango but Xbox 720 would be just as bad

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]Not this early in the development cycle. With only a code name the next Xbox isn't going to be released any time soon. End of next year at soonest if you're optimistic. If you're buying a car, you might wait that long. Certainly not a video game console.I don't understand the extreme secrecy this early in the cycle over information that is basically irrelevant. Everyone knows there is going to be a new XBox even if MS hasn't announced anything. Why bother deleting the tweet of a that isn't going to be the real name of the console? If it actually revealed something of technical importance, I could understand to a degree.[/citation]

its how many years into the cycle of the 360 and if you don't already have one, odds are getting one now isn't a high priority, it would denture a more casual actual gaming (like has a ps3 or a pc and there is one game they want on the 360 and need a bit of a push) audience.

there is no way in hell microsoft wont release it this year, pre holiday, they just cant... if they come out with it next year, it would need to be a holiday item to really take advantage of the initial sales (and price) window. and microsoft knows better than anyone else that being first to market (or at least snappy) is VERY important in gaming, they wont let the wiiu have an uncontested year when they are only shooting for 20% more power, that would royaly screw over the next xbox if they did that... i mean look at the ps3. its widely reguarded as you build for that first, and port off that code game comes out better.

they would never give the wiiu a year head start, possible a few months but only if wiiu comes out mid year.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]DeViLzzz2007[/nom]Please tell me they will come up with a better name than Xbox 720 or Durango for the new system ..... :Z I understand the codename is Durango but Xbox 720 would be just as bad[/citation]
don't worry, they are just going to call it, "why not get a PC instead box"

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Seriously, why not create a PC with console like customized Windows. AMD could design the APU with 800 or 1000 stream processors, which should be enough for awhile. The games would sense the BIOS/hardware and set the graphics settings accordingly. Those with more powerful systems would have expanded customizations. No more worrying about future compatibility, and less waste of money for research. Set the games prices to $20 - $30 and there won't be any piracy issues.[/citation]
With what you described developers would not be forced to optimize the coding for truely great games and instead they would blame gamers for having inferior machines. Traditionally consoles are sold at a loss and made up on game sales. This would not be possible for PC/Console hybrids which in turn would cause lower sales figures and less games sold. Another company with a dedicated console and similar graphics at the time would take the lead in the market.

G

[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]It's all about the money. The existence of a project name means that Microsoft is actively working on the next Xbox. Microsoft is probably afraid that this might convince some people to hold off on purchasing the current system and wait for the next one.[/citation]

I doubt it, the system has been out long enough that anyone who is going to buy one already has.

lassik

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Durango will be just a codename.

It won't be called 720 either:
1. The ill advised will think it just means it can do 720p or something.
2. Sony could just name their next console Playstation 1080 and they've automatically won in marketing.
3. It's a stupid name.

It's the reason the Xbox 360 wasn't called the Xbox 2, because people "Not in the know" will just see the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 2 and think "3 is higher than 2, so it must be better".

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Seriously, why not create a PC with console like customized Windows. AMD could design the APU with 800 or 1000 stream processors, which should be enough for awhile. The games would sense the BIOS/hardware and set the graphics settings accordingly. Those with more powerful systems would have expanded customizations. No more worrying about future compatibility, and less waste of money for research. Set the games prices to $20 - $30 and there won't be any piracy issues.[/citation]

We already have something very close to that, it's called PC.
The console advantage is to NOT have any different hardware, so the games can be masterly optimized for it. Not wise to get rid of it.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]lassik[/nom]Durango will be just a codename.It won't be called 720 either:1. The ill advised will think it just means it can do 720p or something.2. Sony could just name their next console Playstation 1080 and they've automatically won in marketing.3. It's a stupid name.It's the reason the Xbox 360 wasn't called the Xbox 2, because people "Not in the know" will just see the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 2 and think "3 is higher than 2, so it must be better".[/citation]

The next PlayStation will be named PS4....
No mystery there....
But people know that it won't mean that would be capable of 4X SuperHD

Give people some credit.
As for the Xbox720 name, that has been circulating as the name for the next Xbox console, but it all started as a joke, it would be kind of funny if Microsoft ends up actually using it as the actual name for it.

fishyfish

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
[citation][nom]DeViLzzz2007[/nom]Please tell me they will come up with a better name than Xbox 720 or Durango for the new system ..... :Z I understand the codename is Durango but Xbox 720 would be just as bad[/citation]

You are right, they should follow Sony's creative naming convention and just call it XBOX 3. Or better, use some catchy name that sounds just like diet strawberry yoghurt, Vita for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.