CS student looking for a laptop that costs $600 or less

Lazlaw

Estimable
Jul 17, 2015
Howdy guys. I'm looking to buy a laptop that will serve me during my years in college. Here are my answers to the usual questions.

1. What is your budget?
$600 is an absolute maximum.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
16-17".

3. What screen resolution do you want?
When I had a 15" laptop, I used a 1280x800 resolution on it. Since the new laptop is going to be bigger, I'll probably go higher. 1440x900 should be enough.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement laptop.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Two Hours of work with the Wi-Fi on but with no intensive activity (movies, games, etc.).

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I would be very happy if I can run The Witcher 2 on medium settings (it's a 2011 game). But generally, gaming is not a priority for this laptop.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I'm usually multitasking so I'll have a lot of open tabs on Chrome, maybe some Youtube videos, maybe also an Office application. I'll also be doing some programming (C, C++ and some other stuff) on the laptop during my studies.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
120GB is more than enough. For the sake of speed, I want an SSD drive. I heard that with many laptops it is possible to add such a drive by removing the optical drive and somehow connect an SSD drive in its place. I would be happy with that, especially if it saves me some serious bucks.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I'm not.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't really care about the brand.

13. What country do you live in?
Israel.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
The laptop should be comfortable to use. I don't want it to heat like crazy or be super-noisy If I'm playing a game. The keyboard should be pretty big, with buttons that don't break easily. The CPU should be easily accessible, so that I can clean up dust without disassembling the entire computer. The Wireless adapter should have a good reception. I think that's about it.

Please excuse my bad English, and thanks for the help.