Custom Laptop - check my specs....please?

sstevens84

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
I'm looking at getting a custom laptop built by a will known UK based company. My budget is around £650ish, but will stretch to £700 max for the right spec. Although not looking for a desktop replacement, I'll mostly be using it for some basic college/office tasks, some photoshop and digital art (BIG working files) and watching movies on-the-go (from the hdd) as i'm away from home often due to work.

Also, will occasionally - i.e. no more than a few days a week - use it for moderate games, e.g. FSX, WarThunder, BattleField etc. I'm really not massively fussed about razor sharp graphics and uber-quick fps rates, but i need to have fluidity and smoothness at payable fps.

The spec below is what I've cooked up so far, coming in at £689 delivered....

Chassis & Display: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor 6300HQ (2.3GHz, 3.2GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM): 8GB HyperX IMPACT 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (1 x 8GB)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 950M - 2.0GB DDR3 - DX12

1st Hard Disk: 1TB SEAGATE HYBRID 2.5" SSHD Drive, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (5400 rpm)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

Sound Card: Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Wireless/Wired Networking: GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8260 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) + BLUETOOTH

USB Options: 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD

Operating System: Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

Would like to hea some opinions on the above, and any changes if you're able to keep it within the budget...

Solution
Overall, it is a decent laptop. Most gamers would likely say that the GTX 960m is the least powerful GPU to be considered a "performance / gaming GPU". The GTX 950m is not bad though especially if squeezing the GTX 960m into your budget is not possible. Below is a link to some info about the 950m and some game benchmarks.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-950M.138026.0.html

FSX is an old game and it should run fine since it is mostly a CPU dependent game and the quad core i5-6300HQ is significantly more powerful than the CPUs back in 2006 when the game was released.
Overall, it is a decent laptop. Most gamers would likely say that the GTX 960m is the least powerful GPU to be considered a "performance / gaming GPU". The GTX 950m is not bad though especially if squeezing the GTX 960m into your budget is not possible. Below is a link to some info about the 950m and some game benchmarks.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-950M.138026.0.html

FSX is an old game and it should run fine since it is mostly a CPU dependent game and the quad core i5-6300HQ is significantly more powerful than the CPUs back in 2006 when the game was released.

Solution

sstevens84

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016

Perfect, thanks for your reply. The laptop will mostly be used for digital photography and video work, but the ability to game on it too was a major part of the build spec.