damaged laptop or hard disk?

Peter4_1

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016
Hi,

It would seem that trying to answer more emails when exhausted, with a slow laptop, might not have been the best idea. When the cursor kept disappearing I gave in to my frustration and pounded the bottom of the keyboard to the right of the mousepad. Since then, while the Toshiba laptop will turn on, I've gone from seeing the BIOS menu and getting it to try and repair itself (which didn't work on multiple tries) to "Please select the Boot medium". I've managed to get the cover off the hard disk, and it looks ok. The head and arm were off to the side in the rest position. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Peter

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there Peter4_1,

I would agree with jarotech. Most probably, it is just the HDD that has failed. Also, if it was failing one the first place, it could have caused that overall slowness.

Anyway, if you need some of the data stored on the drive, you will need to contact a data recovery company. By opening up the drive, you've exposed the platters to dust contaminated environment. Furthermore, most probably, it has some mechanical flaw.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)