DBAN ISO file cannot be found to burn to DVD-R

ktrevie4

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
Please help. I want to burn my DBAN iso file to a dvd-r but I cannot find the ISO. I have downloaded DBAN time and again, comp

Solution
DBAN.PNG

I apologize... the problem was being caused by WinRAR, once i uninstalled it everything is working fine now i found my ISO. thank you very much

ktrevie4

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
DBAN.PNG

I apologize... the problem was being caused by WinRAR, once i uninstalled it everything is working fine now i found my ISO. thank you very much

Solution

mdd1963

Distinguished
Might not apply here, and, I am not implying it does...

BUt in case anyone else curious about DBAN is reading..

Not sure if most folks know that DBAN is intended to securely erase drives with multiple passes to prevent anyone from performing any sort of hostile data data recovery...often this is done before a drives actual scrapping, or sale for refurbishing. That sort of heavy use is not intended simply before a classic 'delete partitions/quick format/reinstall'

I feel/fear that some folks are choosing an 8-24 hour DBAN triple pass runs on their 4 TB spinning drives in what they feel is an effective alternative to simply deleting partitions, and quick formatting in 2 seconds will also effectively delete all data/clear their malware. Writing all 1's, all 0's , then random data to 4-6 TB drives constantly for 12-24 solid hours is likely at least a year or more's worth of typical desktop use 'wear and tear'...

Some drives might not even survive it if already aged 2 years or so (WD Blues have a 1 year warranty?), just as doing a RAID 5 rebuild often causes another drive to fail due to the heavy tasking required for the RAID rebuild.

In summary: I'd opt for DBAN only when one is either selling the drive, recycling it, or prior to destruction, not for routine 'get ready to reinstall' needs.