Deciding between xps and zenbook

Turtle_2

Estimable
Oct 29, 2015
Hello,

my old zenbook started to show his age in recent months and I started thinking about replacement. After I looked what my options are I come to these two: Dell XPS 13(2018 model, i7-8550U, 16GB DDR3, UHD resolution, 512GB SSD, no dedicated graphic card) and Asus Zenbook(2018 model, i7-8759H, 16GB DDR4, FHD resolution, 512GB SSD, GTX1050). My budget and location allows me one of these two. My old zenbook served me well and this new one is around 300+ dollar cheaper with better internals but I read on some reviews that it can throttle sometimes because of some shared sink pipe(bad design I guess). On the other hand Dell have less good internals and it is more expensive and I would have to buy ports hub but reviews have nothing but good things to say about it and performance is more consistent. My use case is programming(visual studio code, visual studio) and photo editing(lightroom, photoshop). I would like to know is anyone encpuntered issues with zenbook throthlling, is xps with lesser specs worth more money, your opinions about these two? Would I go wrong with either one? This laptops should last 5 years before next upgrade. And macbooks arent in list because for money I have I could only get macbook pro 13 with i5 and 8gb ddr3 ram 2018 witch sound much less possible to last 5 years of being workhorse than xps and zenbook. Maybe I am wrong?

Last edited:
Almost any small laptop will not get to full CPU speeds. Any system I have used outside of a full size system like a Lenovo T model does not get to full CPU speeds and tends to be loud.

But if you want a slim design, then you give up practicality for that.