Deciding on a new laptop.

jloosh

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I am currently trying to decide on a new laptop. I want something preferably with a 17inch screen, I7, and an awesome dedicated graphics card.

I have found these two laptops and I think I am going to pick one of them...not really sure on good brands of laptops, have had my dell since 2005 and its kind ofdated and want something I can take places...pc is stuck here.

MSI GT Series GT70 2OC-065US Intel Core i7 8GB Memory 1TB HDD 17.3" Notebook

ASUS G75 Series G750JW-DB71 Intel Core i7 12GB Memory 1TB HDD 17.3"

The Asus has a slightly better cpu, better graphics, and 4 gigs more mem.
The MSI has a better graphics card and a year longer warranty.

Both of them could use a SSD for the OS though, that 5400rpm hd has to kill performance.

Just not sure which way to go as of now, and want to get some imput from the community to get some perspective on stuff I may have missed.

jloosh

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
The asus actually has less of a video card, idk why I said better.

How bad is the MSI QC. I think I seen alot of the same problems with the msi as the asus if not more with the asus.

Not really sure how bad the issues are, people with issues always voice their opinion more than the ones that are content i guess idk.

Tradesman1

Honorable
Part of my business is building rigs, and to that end I dropped MSI from my list about 3 years ago and haven't yet seen anything to change my mind, see more problems with MSI products (computers, laptops, components) than any two other manufacturers put together. Their tech support isn't any better

jloosh

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
hmm ill have to take that into consideration. Thats whats nice about asking on a forum, get some input from the real world.

would there be any systems in that price range that would be comparable to the MSI I was looking at.

When I got my dell years ago I went all out (money was more plentiful then) so I didnt have to worry about not having enough power for along time since laptops are basically not upgradable compared to a desktop. I want a laptop for portability (not looking for a small one, but a system I can take places)

I'm trying to stay around the 1400 mark, wanted to be around a 1000 but nothing really appeals that low.

laptopbrandsguide

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
This may be the one Tradesmen is referencing and I agree it is worth a look:

TOSHIBA Qosmio X75-A7295

I also would also caution you on the MSI laptop. Similar to other comments made here I haven't been as happy with their product over the past couple of years. This Toshiba machine is just one option. Lenovo has some good laptops as well but my recommendations from them would be a smaller display. So take a look at the Toshiba.

jloosh

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

I think the one night i was looking at that Toshiba and there were some negative comments that I thought would be annoying and I didnt care for how it was set up, so I decided against it.

Why with the lenovo would you recommend a smaller display?

Laptop hunting is becoming annoying haha

laptopbrandsguide

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

Because the only 17 inch laptops in Lenovo's product line are the Essential G-Series laptops. I'm by no means dropping the hammer on the entire line but I think you have better options out there based on some of the features you are looking for. I like several of the Lenovo ThinkPad laptops but none of them have the 17 inch display.