Decode AC3 in software in real-time?

doomgaze3

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Hi everyone. This seems like the best forum on the net to ask this question, so here goes:

First, the hardware. I just got myself a new sound card for my compy. It is a Diamond Xtreme Sound 7.1. More information (what little there is) can be found on Diamond's site at diamondmm.com. The card has S/PDIF in and out. The speakers hooked up to it are an old-and-trusty set of Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's. The audio card downmixes all sound it outputs into a "virtual" 7.1 environment. I also own an Xbox 360 and a cable mount for it which houses an optical S/PDIF out.

So my first thought when I got the thing home was: "Hey! I could have fake surround sound out of my 360 with this card!" Unfortunately not. The 360 is outputting a Dolby Digital AC3 signal and the sound card does not decode it.

So my question is this: Is there a software solution that will decode the AC3 signal coming off of the 360 and downmix it to the speakers hooked up to my PC?

Any help would be appreciated!

doomgaze3

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
I actually found a solution for this, but thanks for the link! I'm always up to looking at more codec packs. :)

If anyone is interested, I'll be posting an explaination on how I did this on my website soon. It's 2assholes.blogspot.com

TRENDING THREADS