Dedicated GPU making laptop freeze.

YuuKwn

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
I have a Samsung RF511 with a Nvidia GT 540M. I've been using for a good time already and it always worked perfectly, without getting too heated up. A couple months ago my laptop started showing an strange behaviour: Windows 10 started to freeze, only shutting down with the power button. After that, Windows would always freeze at start. Booted in the recovery mode of windows 10 and restored an previous point. Worked like a charm... for half a week. Again, the laptop was showing the exact same thing. I did the restore point two more times and after that i started to really see what the problem was.
-Installed a new windows (7), it did not work.
-Entered in Safe mode: It worked! So I started to deactivate the services and booting on normal mode. The problem was the GPU (Nvidia Driver service).
I reinstalled the drivers, used other versions, even the outdated samsung one, no luck.
Could you guys help me? It really bugs me this problem, and i don't want to buy another rig now (and i can't too, no money)
Thank you for the attention and possible help

Solution
I see, well then that isn't as bad as I had originally thought. They are high, but not seriously high if that is the temps during gaming.

I would consider trying to use the graphics card/GPU that came with the laptop, just to test and see if it lowers temps for both or not.

YuuKwn

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

The temps are between 70-90 ºC.
With the driver deactivated, I get higher temps coming from the GPU.

YuuKwn

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

Ohh Sorry, these are while gaming.
The tests when not gaming gave me 70 or less ºC. (If i was using on my bed without cooler it would go a bit higher)
I already had problems related to heat on another Laptop, so i don't really think the problem is this. But I'll gladly perform any solution related to heat, because you are the one helping and not me =b

I see, well then that isn't as bad as I had originally thought. They are high, but not seriously high if that is the temps during gaming.

I would consider trying to use the graphics card/GPU that came with the laptop, just to test and see if it lowers temps for both or not.

Solution