Dedicated Graphics Card not working?

FrancisVTalan

Estimable
May 20, 2014
Today i just bought a laptop which was a Dell 14 Inspiron 7460 i7 which has a Geforce 940MX.
The reason why i bought this laptop is because of its capabilities playing high end games in medium settings with 35-40 min FPS 50+ average and max 70 which is totally awesome. but when i tried playing games FPS was terrible. i searched in youtube some game test using 940MX playing like Guild Wars 2 and Overwatch and it was smooth and playable but in my part FPS is just too shitty. like as if im playing from a crapph integrated Intel graphics. Am i doing something wrong here. should i need to update, install or fix some settings?

Solution
It's possible that you have a ton of programs running in the background. Which can be cleaned up with task manager or even going to 'msconfig' and disabling programs at start-up. Also set your game to high priority on your laptop that way, it devotes all of it's resources. Maybe even do a virus scan in safe-mode or reset your laptop to factory settings and than attempt.

Slow Pri

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
Have you updated your drivers through Geforce Experience? Usually that program will configure what is the best settings that your laptop will be able to handle while giving decent FPS.

Typically, that's the best solution unless you can find someone with the same exact setup and that can give you the same 'loadout'.

Slow Pri

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
It's possible that you have a ton of programs running in the background. Which can be cleaned up with task manager or even going to 'msconfig' and disabling programs at start-up. Also set your game to high priority on your laptop that way, it devotes all of it's resources. Maybe even do a virus scan in safe-mode or reset your laptop to factory settings and than attempt.

Solution

stosicpavle

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
I had the same problem with my laptop. I tried all the drivers but it wouldn't work in any setup. Finally I flashed the BIOS with the new version from the manufacturer's site. And you wouldn't believe it, but once windows rebooted with new BIOS, it started working normally. I didn't even have to reinstall anything. So give it a try. Download the new flash version, and update your motherboard. Hope it helps!