Dedicated graphics or nah

RubenDeVogel

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Hello,

I'm currently looking to purchase a laptop. I'm an Information Engineering student and I will use the laptop for mostly light tasks. Some courses may require me to edit a video (happened in the past). My top picks after some research are the Lenovo 320s and the 520 version of the series. They have very similar specs (i5 7200U, 8gb memory and 256 gb ssd). The only big difference there is: the 520 has a dedicated graphics card (940mx). The weird thing about it is that they currently have the same price. The only downside (I know of) of getting a dedicated graphics card is that the power draw will be greater and the battery probably will not last as long as the 320.
What do you think is the best pick? Please some advice :)

thanks

Solution
i would take the one with dedicated gpu, as it can be used for some acceleration in some editing software. it is true it will drain more battery, but you can just disable it in device manager when you are not using it.

nvincent_08

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
i would take the one with dedicated gpu, as it can be used for some acceleration in some editing software. it is true it will drain more battery, but you can just disable it in device manager when you are not using it.

Solution