Question Dell 5502/5509 Won’t power up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2023
But, I know why. Just not how bad it is.
I have received a 1TB portable USB drive and downloaded pictures from my files onto it. I removed it for a little while, BUT when I went to plug it back in I missed. I accidentally put it in the HDMI port (not all the way of course), then POOF, it shut down and won’t start up again. I work from home and absolutely need this. Any tips I can try?

Jan 17, 2023
It sounds like you may have damaged the HDMI port on your Dell 5502/5509 by attempting to plug in a USB drive into it. Unfortunately, this could potentially be a serious issue that may require professional repair.

You can try a few things to see if it resolves the issue:

1. Disconnect the power cord and all other peripherals from the computer. Hold down the power button for 15 seconds, then reconnect the power cord and try turning it on again.
  2. Try to boot the computer in Safe Mode. This can be done by repeatedly pressing the F8 key as the computer is booting up.
  3. Check the warranty on your computer and contact Dell for repair options.
  4. If none of the above options resolve the issue, it is likely that your computer will need to be repaired by a professional.

Reactions: Kayceee
Jan 17, 2023
Oh my goodness, I was so afraid of that. But you all think it “IS” repairable? Sadly the warranty is expired. I tried your helpful suggestions, thank you so much. It did not power up at all. Then I left it unplugged from everything all night, and again - did not come up. I’m going to call someone this morning.

Thank you!!

redtrash

Prominent
Feb 4, 2023
You may have shorted some pins, check if the pins in the HDMI port are all separate each other, if not, try to bend it back, if yes, well, what already has been said

Status
Not open for further replies.