Dell 7559 vs alienware 14

Paraganos

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
Hi,
I'm currently looking for computer.
I got these 2 offers at around the same price.
Specs:
Dell 7559
I5 6300hq
8g ddr3 1600mhz
Geforce gtx 960m 4gddr5
1TB 5400rpm +8gb sshd

Dell alienware 14
I5 4200m
Geforce gtx 750m 2gb
8gb ddr 1600mhz
500gb 5400rpm

Now I don't care about the hard drive size, and the screen size is not an issue either.
It seems to me that the 7559 is superior by all categories, and if so why are they of the same price?
Is the alienware more reliable?

Thanks guys

Solution

Alienware has better support, than stock dell machines, like the inspiron. But the alienware really is better. The inspiron is...

Dustybin

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
Alienware is simply overpriced, alot of these gaming brands expect you to pay a premium for style vs spec. Alienware is owned by Dell the components will almost certainly come from the same supply sources at the same price to the company. I don't believe the answer gets any more complex than that.

MSI released something called the Vortex which costs about 33% more than if you bought components off the rack and built it yourself but comes in a fancy case... in fact I think the 980's in the Vortex are actually mobility versions so don't even perform as well a bog standard reference desktop version.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

Alienware has better support, than stock dell machines, like the inspiron. But the alienware really is better. The inspiron is cheap for a reason, crap keyboard,harddrive,battery,screen. And the trackpad sucks, they made it cheap to appeal to more people cut too many corners and made it a lemon.

DO Not Buy It.

Solution

Dustybin

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
Firstly I didn't endorse buying the Dell system I offered the opinion that Alienware do very little to justify their price. The spec on that Alienware can barely play modern games at its native resolution today let alone in a years time and if he isn't gaming then why even bother looking at an Alienware anyway?

I had an Alienware laptop and I can assure you they are not worth any premium you'll pay. They come in expensive looking packaging and the keyboard was quite nice, the glide pad was awful and mine at least had constant heating issue. It isn't just Dell they are overpriced against if you do a quick compare vs other gaming laptops you find the same trend e.g.

3XS LG17 Performance GTX from Scan (17inch screen, i5 cpu, 1080p screen and twice the hdd size) is just under £900
Alienware 13 Gaming Laptop (13.3 screen, i3, 768p screen) is £1000

That is just the first example I found but there is an MSI for £920 with a similar spec but an i7 for £920 and I could find another 10 examples from other companies. You can get a laptop with a 980M in it for just over £1200 and that will last you a lot longer than a 750M for not a massive amount more. If you really want an Alienware because you like the style and you have the money then buy it. However they don't represent great value for money and they don't even review that well against similar machines.

The Alienware was bought when I was young and foolish and since then I've invested my money in a decent gaming system and only owned cheap laptops for work.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

I buy gaming grade computers even for work, as i like to have dedicated chips that dont suck even if i dont use them too much.

I have my desktop that i do 99% of stuff one, so really i dont need a powerful gaming laptop as i wont use it. Plus for me especially not to hijack the thread i play only strategy games which dont really have good graphics. The most intensive game i play for example is world of tanks.

Good Luck OP.

Had to answer dusty and didnt mean to hijack the thread.

Dustybin

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
Yep, getting a bit off topic. So for the original question the reason is:

Answer 1: They offer better build quality, extended warranty, better quality accessories and bundled software (true to a varying extent).
Answer 2: Glowing lights and a fancy logo.

Just remember though that Alienware is effectively a designer brand and people are also willing to pay extra for the badge.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

number 1, crap build quality, worthless support and warranty.

Go with the alienware but go to the alienware site and buy a alienware 15 current model.

dustybin8

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

Not really a reply to me because I wouldn't buy either system.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

lol