Question Dell E6430 laptop screen so dim I can't see display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2019
Hi there
My Dell laptop suddenly had an issue with a black screen from start up.
With a torch I can see it is booting up as usual and displaying things, just no backlight.
It also works fine via HDMI/another monitor.
I have tried moving ram around, pressing power button to remove static etc.
I bought an entire screen/screen chasis in one from ebay, as it was easier and cheaper than lcd/inverter testing.
Fitted fine, but still the same problem.
I am really stumped - it can't be the graphics/motherboard can it?
I have updated video driver and checked brightness settings in bios and in windows.
I have another working laptop, same model if that helps....
any advice appreciated.
Tubster

If you replaced the display, and the replacement was fine (would be really odd if it was also not working) and it still doing this, then I would look at replacing the motherboard.

Yes, not what one wants to hear, but considering the device, that sounds like what you will need to do.

Anyone else have suggestions on anything I may have missed?

Apr 12, 2019
Thank you for the quick reply. I guess you are right, it is so strange that it works ok on external monitor, and new(er) screen came with it's own cables so it can't be that. must be some issue with path to turning on screen backlight.
As a last ditch attempt I thought I'd try testing screens and removing graphics driver so it goes to default but not much hope!

Try starting it up in "Safe Mode". That will only use the integrated graphics. That will give you a better idea.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Apr 12, 2019
Thanks for all the advice. In the end I bought a scrap 6430 with a screen and motherboard I could see working. I put this screen on the faulty laptop and it worked fine! So I contacted original screen seller and he said it was tested, and to take the screen apart (pull off screen surround, remove 6 screws, take out panel gently and check/push in any connectors). It still didn't work so I sent screen back for refund. Then I tried this advice on original faulty screen and it fixed it, so now I have got original laptop working and most of a spare laptop, which I'll buy a few bits for to get working well. So all sorted, thanks for replies.

Dec 21, 2019
Hi there
My Dell laptop suddenly had an issue with a black screen from start up.
With a torch I can see it is booting up as usual and displaying things, just no backlight.
It also works fine via HDMI/another monitor.
I have tried moving ram around, pressing power button to remove static etc.
I bought an entire screen/screen chasis in one from ebay, as it was easier and cheaper than lcd/inverter testing.
Fitted fine, but still the same problem.
I am really stumped - it can't be the graphics/motherboard can it?
I have updated video driver and checked brightness settings in bios and in windows.
I have another working laptop, same model if that helps....
any advice appreciated.
Tubster

Please let me know if you had this probelom soled

Status
Not open for further replies.