Dell E7250 - Upgraded to backlit keyboard - how do I activate the backlight?

david_628

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
My keyboard needed to be replaced. my original keyboard was non-backlit and I had broken a couple of keys so decided to buy a backlit version as a replacement.

physical installation went fine - both the keyboard ribbon and backlight ribbon are hooked up. Keyboard functions fine.

I cannot get the backlight to work. I assume there is a BIOS update or something that I have to do? When I go into BIOS I do not see anywhere to activate the backlight. As well I cannot find any settings in windows.

Any ideas?

There should be a hotkey on the keyboard to turn it on. Of course since you changed the keyboard form the original one, there may be some other issues with using it. Do any of the 7250 models come with a backlit keyboard? You can try a newer BIOS if you want, but it may not help you.

david_628

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017

Yes, I am aware of the hotkey. Nothing happens when I press it.

Yes, a backlit keyboard was an option hence why there is a ribbon slot to connect the backlit ribbon.

david_628

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
Any other tips beyond the keyboard driver? I cannot seem to find a specific "backlit" version of the keyboard driver.

william p

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I own a Logitech wireless backlit keyboard. The internal battery must be charged above a certain level for the backlight feature to work, and the backlight appears when you place your hand over the keyboard. I don't know if this applies to the keyboard you have or not.

CeltiadLad

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014

If it's like mine the breakdown of the key functions was on the box no instructions, it came on when plugged in went thru all the different modes, mine's a windows layout and for lighting effects use Fn (function) key + INS key, this key's above the arrow keys, mine's a "gaming" keyboard so not sure but if yours is same that's where the INS key will be. For brightness use Fn key + ⬆︎ or ⬇︎ keys, to control speed use Fn + ⬅︎ or ➜ keys mine also has a water tube light around the bottom edge of keyboard just turns on or off, you probably don't have that. I just have mine set to no movement just blue light backlit keys. So, that's it if you have a gaming backlit board. Good Luck cause it helped me see a lot better. SH

So you are pressing the Fn key and the F10 key simultaneously?

Have you tried Alt+F10?