Solved! Dell G5 5587- Random Shutdown even in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2020
Hello, I purchased Dell G5 5587 last year and it ran fine for about 8 months. However, now the laptop shuts down randomly after few minutes after boot up and even in BIOS. Started when I played games on it and it overheated. Undervolting cpu fixed it for a while. Now it back and very frequent even while undervolted. Not a temp problem.
After turning the PC back on it shows me 3 amber and a white light which is a CMOS battery failure and I have replaced the cmos battery with no such luck. I tested laptop without battery as well as ram module, wasnt it.
Also tried updating all drivers and BIOS and resetting PC as well as resetting BIOS. I also tried repasting and cleaning dust and heatsink. Fixed for a while and again its back.
It might be a fan problem as I have to make sure dell power manager is set to ultra performance mode every time and if not the fans simply wont run. Now it will last for a little while with fan running and temp around 53° , but will eventually shutdown at around 55°.
I am running out of ideas and my warranty just ran out. Appreciate any help.
Laptop Specs-
Dell g5 5587
16gb [8x2]
Core i5 8300h
Nvidia 1060 6gb Max Q

Aug 20, 2020
Solution: It was overheating, most likely CPU. Dell power manager is such a bad software. Even with ultra performance it barely ever made the fan run. I had to put my high power fan behind the laptops back to prevent shutdown. Currently using HwInfo64 to manually make the fan run at all times. It runs well. Also using any thermal paste wont do good for the heat management. Currently using Arctic MX-4, temps are 25 degrees lower than it used to be. They really need to make power manager more customizable or put fan control in BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.