Dell Inspirion 15 5559 is Faster if the Batteries are plugged in?

Nal Skipper

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Hi guys,

Simple question: Does having the battery plugged in have an effect on the performance of the (any) laptop? And will it make the hard drive do it stuff faster?

Laptop Specs:

Dell Inspirion 15 5559
Baby i3 - 6100u
8GB of RAM
1TB HDD (WD blue WD10JPVX)
**I usually run my laptop on AC with the Batteries removed.

In past few days, my laptop suddenly became so sluggish that it was barely able to do web browsing (with 8 tabs or less). I removed all the bloatware and disabled all process that wasn't necessary for normal laptop operation but the everything was still a crawl.

CPU usage is below 10%, RAM is 40% and Disk never got above 10%-ish. No malware or virus whatsoever since I just did a refresh on the abomination of a OS (Windows 10). And the free space in the HDD is 70%. And I noticed that the boot time was 15-17 sec, on average.

I was out of options of what to do next. That was when I thought of charging the laptop battery because...why not? A fully charged battery is a happy battery, right? So I plugged in the battery and rebooted the laptop. To my surprise, the boot time changed to 9 sec. and the performance was fast. So what happened? Any ideas?

Nal Skipper

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

I was using my Laptop while charging the battery, so both were plugged in when my laptop became faster.

Basically:

Battery unplugged while in AC/power cable = slow performance

Battery plugged in while in AC/power cable = fast performance

Update:

I removed the Battery and let my laptop run on AC/power cable. I noticed that it became sluggish again. Could it be that the laptop gets under powered or something without the battery? Is that even possible?

Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Xaibior Laptop General Discussion 1
O Laptop General Discussion 2
N Laptop General Discussion 2
S Laptop General Discussion 4
D Laptop General Discussion 1
O Laptop General Discussion 2
T Laptop General Discussion 2
S Laptop General Discussion 2
A Laptop General Discussion 3
P Laptop General Discussion 6