Dell Inspirion 15 5559 is Faster if the Batteries are plugged in?

Nal Skipper

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Hi guys,

Simple question: Does having the battery plugged in have an effect on the performance of the (any) laptop? And will it make the hard drive do it stuff faster?

Laptop Specs:

Dell Inspirion 15 5559
Baby i3 - 6100u
8GB of RAM
1TB HDD (WD blue WD10JPVX)
**I usually run my laptop on AC with the Batteries removed.

In past few days, my laptop suddenly became so sluggish that it was barely able to do web browsing (with 8 tabs or less). I removed all the bloatware and disabled all process that wasn't necessary for normal laptop operation but the everything was still a crawl.

CPU usage is below 10%, RAM is 40% and Disk never got above 10%-ish. No malware or virus whatsoever since I just did a refresh on the abomination of a OS (Windows 10). And the free space in the HDD is 70%. And I noticed that the boot time was 15-17 sec, on average.

I was out of options of what to do next. That was when I thought of charging the laptop battery because...why not? A fully charged battery is a happy battery, right? So I plugged in the battery and rebooted the laptop. To my surprise, the boot time changed to 9 sec. and the performance was fast. So what happened? Any ideas?

Nal Skipper

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

I was using my Laptop while charging the battery, so both were plugged in when my laptop became faster.

Basically:

Battery unplugged while in AC/power cable = slow performance

Battery plugged in while in AC/power cable = fast performance

Update:

I removed the Battery and let my laptop run on AC/power cable. I noticed that it became sluggish again. Could it be that the laptop gets under powered or something without the battery? Is that even possible?

Thanks!