Dell Inspiron 15 5000 doesn’t load chrome, does ping to 8.8.8.8 in cmd???

tiendasmartve

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Hello.

I have an issue with my laptop for the past few days.

It isn’t loading me internet on chrome, but the WiFi say it’s good and when I ping 8.8.8.8 on cmd it goes perfect.

But chrome doesn’t load me, just a few times. But it’s unstable.

It only happens with WiFi, with the cable everything loads fine.

What can be causing this?

Try a different browser and see if you can access the internet on it. If you can, then chrome itself is the issue and may require you clear it out, or even uninstall, restart the computer and reinstall it. So I would try starting with another browser and see if that gives you access first.

Now if no browser gives you access, then try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "WiFi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your WiFi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

It should now be connected.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may want to reset your modem/router, and then once it is fully loaded again, repeat the above steps.

If this doesn't work, test seeing if your laptop will connect via Ethernet. If so, then your WiFi card may be going. You can either look to replace it/have it replaced, or get an external (plugs in via USB) WiFi card.

Another way to try it is to...

1. Go to "Settings".
2. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
3. Now click "Manage known networks".
4. Select the WiFi connection you want to remove.
5. Click the "Forget" button.
6. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.
7. Once the computer is fully reloaded again go to "Settings".
8. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
9. Now click "Manage known networks".
10. Click "Add a new network" and enter the network name.
11. Using the drop-down menu, select the "network security type".
12. Check the "Connect automatically" option.
13. Now check the "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting" option and click "Save".

Once you have completed these steps, whenever the device is within range of that particular network, it should automatically connect to it.

tiendasmartve

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
I will try that.

I also tried with edge and it doesn’t load. With cable everything loads perfectly.

But the weird thing is I can send a ping using WiFi to 8.8.8.8 and it goes perfectly.

tiendasmartve

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

I don’t see the manage wireless network option.

tiendasmartve

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

Tried this. The problem persist. The WiFi card must be fine because in cmd I can ping 8.8.8.8 on WiFi but chrome and edge don’t load, just a few times. It’s intermittent.

With cable everything loads fine.

What could be the problem?

That really doesn't give you a true view of the internet connection.

You can try starting up in "Safe Mode" with networking and see if it will load anything. The access would be restricted, but you should be able to check connection then. You should also try testing it on a different WiFi and see if it works on another. If it does, then it is your WiFi.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

tiendasmartve

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

What should i check in safe mode? What if the internet works fine there? I haven’t check but want to know what to do next in case this works.

Note: you did say above that with cable (assuming you mean Ethernet connection) that it works fine? If that is the case, I would also really look at it could be the WiFi card. It is completely possible it would work during the small test you tried, but not work to load sites. Another way to tell if it is the card would be to try using an external USB WiFi card to see if it works fine.

Now if it works OK in "Safe Mode" (not referring to paragraph above, and not via the same way you were testing it yourself in Windows) then I would start to wonder if there is something on the computer blocking your access.

tiendasmartve

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

Ok will try it in safe mode.

I have mcafee antivirus installed because it came with the machine. Perhaps it is affecting it? I already delete and added chrome in the acceptable programs for the firewall, and the problem persist.

The website loading is intermittent, it started to happen a few days ago, shortly after receiving the laptop.

Well that can look for viruses, but it doesn't do as well for malware, spyware, etc. If you got the laptop used, then you don't know what was put on it by the prior person. And if no other browsers work (Firefox, I.E., etc.) then I would be thinking card damage or something on the device. Do still try it on a different WiFi though.

tiendasmartve

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

The laptop is brand new.

The wifi works intermittently, today it worked mostly fine, but when it stop it is a pain. I can fix it momentarily using commands like netsh winsock reset, or others that are similar, but the problem always returns.

I am suspecting it is the McAfee antivirus.

I notice today for example, that it was working good for a few hours, but then I went to upload an image and it stopped working. The same happen yesterday, so uploading an image seems to be one of the triggers that cause this problem.

Of course, when uploading with the ethernet cable, everything goes fine.

About the safe mode, the thing is, since it works intermittently and even it can be good for a few hours, I would need to spend at least a whole day in safe mode and see if it fails at some point. Perhaps I can do that tomorrow.

But I still think the problem is caused by some software, not hardware, since as I just mentioned, the laptop is brand new.

If it works fine via Ethernet but not with the WiFi only, I don't think it is the antivirus program then. It should effect both. Sadly even new software can have issues. However, if you wish to do so, you can try a different antivirus program, say AVG, or Avast, etc., and see if you get the same problems.

tiendasmartve

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

It just happened to me again.

I have been surfing the web all good, but I just tried to upload an image, and the WiFi stopped loading! Yesterday was the same, and I think the day after that it also happened.

Why would uploading an image cause my WiFi to stop?

I don’t know if this is the only cause, but after what I just saw it’s clearly related to the issue.

tiendasmartve

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

A few days ago I downloaded something using BitTorrent? Do you think it could have anything to do with this?

I have deleted the torrent and BitTorrent since then...