Dell inspiron 15 5000 series periodic buzzing noise during video playback

Dylan Rossi

Honorable
May 4, 2013
Hi there,

I just bought my girlfriend a new Dell inspiron and everything is working great on it, except when she is watching videos on it. Every 15-30 seconds there will be a buzz, kind of like a stutter in the sound, then it goes back to playing normally, just to do it again.

I have tried uninstalling all the dell programs as I saw in a previous forum. That did not work, I also made sure to update all the drivers. Neither seem to have helped as the problem is still occurring.

I am currently running the dell diagnostics and so far it has passed them all and is detecting no hardware issues. I am unsure of where to go from here and would appreciate any help.

I have the computer currently running windows 10.

Thanks in advance

Update: I forgot to add that when I did try and do a BIOS update, during the restart I left it go for well over a half hour and it was still sitting on the restart screen. I had to do a hard power off and start it back up again, I don't think that update actually occurred. If there are any suggestions for how to fix that as well, it would be appreciated.

Solution
Hello Dylan Rossi

I was wondering if you have already tried this:

> Right-click the speaker icon from the notification area in the bottom-right corner.

> Click Playback devices from the context menu.

> On the Sound box, click to select the currently used output device (speaker or headphone).

> Click Properties from the bottom.

> On the opened box, go to the Advanced tab.

> If enabled, click the Restore Defaults button from the bottom.

> Also ensure that both the checkboxes under the Exclusive Mode section are checked.

> Click OK and try playing the video this time.

If the above doesn't help, you can:

> Right-click the Start button.

> Click Control Panel from the context menu.

> On the Control Panel window, from under the System and Security section, click the Find and fix problems link.

> From the right pane of the next window that opens up, from under the Hardware and Sound category, click the Troubleshoot audio playback link.

> Follow the on-screen instructions from there to complete the troubleshooting process.

You may also find some valuable information here.

Hope this helps. Feel free to revert if more assistance is needed. :)

Cheers!!

Dylan Rossi

Honorable
May 4, 2013

Hi there,

I tried the suggested solution and it is still making the stuttering/buzzing noise during video playback.

I also tried the troubleshooter and it said that it could not detect any problems.

Thanks for the response.

Hello again Dylan Rossi

Did you try uninstalling the audio driver, and restarting the PC?

After uninstalling, do not install the driver and let the laptop use the generic sound driver and then check if the issue is still there.

Let me know if this works.

Solution

Dylan Rossi

Honorable
May 4, 2013

Hello again,

That seems to have worked, originally the Realtek HD audio driver kept reinstatlling itself so I could not tell if it was working or not, but i figured out how to keep it from auto-installing.

So far so good, thanks a lot. Any ideas on why that driver doesn't work with this computer? Is it windows 10 that is the problem or is it the computer itself?

Either way,

Thanks a lot!

Hello again Hello Dylan Rossi

It might be due to the older version of audio driver. If possible, you can check with the vendor's site for any updated version of the audio driver for your sound card that is compatible with Windows 10. If the vendor hasn't released the updated version yet, you may need to wait until it does.

Cheers!! :)

Dylan Rossi

Honorable
May 4, 2013

Hi again,

So the problem seems to have come back after the computer was turned off then back on. I immediately checked the driver and it was the same driver that was working before and not the realtk one.

I uninstalled it and restart the computer to let the driver reinstall itself, and when I went and tested it by playing a video, it made the stuttering sound almost immediately and then continued to do it throughout the video.

I'm going to keep messing with the driver to see if I can get it to work again.

Do you have any idea why this would happen again. Does this mean that it's not the driver that is the problem?