Dell inspiron 15 7000 despite gtx 850m?

Calaphos

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
Hey, Im looking for a new notebook for work (photoshop, some video editing, word, internet et.c...) and some light gaming. The notebook should be mobile - not to heavy or thick and the battery should last arround 5-6 hours.
I think the Dell isnpiron 15 7000 7537 which i can get for 900 USD fits:
-i7 4500u
-1080p screen
-gt 750m
16gb ram

my question is if it is still resonable to buy this laptop despite the new nvidia gtx 850m which is sgnificantly faster. Will there be simmilar laptops in the next month with new graphics?
is it worth to wait for it?

Solution
That's the pain of hardware purchases, as soon as you buy your laptop it is no longer the latest and greatest. I would check to see if there are any locations near you that have that laptop and see if they'll let you do a performance test. From my experience, the U processors regardless of their classification were not meant for intense applications. You are looking for something like an HQ or MQ processor which is an actual quad core instead of a dual core with hyper-threading. HP has a couple of option that will allow you to upgrade the processor and GPU - try specing this one out the way you want it and see how it goes...

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
That's the pain of hardware purchases, as soon as you buy your laptop it is no longer the latest and greatest. I would check to see if there are any locations near you that have that laptop and see if they'll let you do a performance test. From my experience, the U processors regardless of their classification were not meant for intense applications. You are looking for something like an HQ or MQ processor which is an actual quad core instead of a dual core with hyper-threading. HP has a couple of option that will allow you to upgrade the processor and GPU - try specing this one out the way you want it and see how it goes. http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/E4T15AV?HP-ENVY-15t-j100-Select-Edition-Notebook-PC-ENERGY-STAR-

Things to bear in mind - are the RAM and HDD ports accessible for you to be able to upgrade the parts yourself? I had a hard time finding a photo but I am guessing you can get to the RAM and HDD by removing the underside of the chassis. If you don't mind the extra time, you can save yourself money but going with the least amount of RAM & the cheaps HDD available and then buying the parts and converting them when you get the laptop. We're an HP shop at work (I miss Dell in so many ways) so that's what I do on new builds.

Solution
Your question hinges on whether you need dedicated graphics or not, and if so, how much. Light gaming is a little ambiguous; the 750M will do light gaming, but the 850M will do it better. ;)

Photoshop and video editing tend towards being fairly demanding on the CPU. A 4500u processor may not suit you well enough (the "u" suffix designates a low voltage CPU, which is slower than non low voltage counterparts).

Calaphos

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
I wont do a lot of very complicated video editing stuff on th laptop, for more damanding jobs i would use my desktop.
The question is if there is ( or will be in the next month) a simmilar laptop for a simmilar price. IF not i would probably buy this one beacuse i didnt really find an alternative. But im always open for sugestions :p