Dell Inspiron 15 laptop infected with Trojan

cosmicempathy

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop with Windows 8 that is infected with a Trojan Virus. The laptop has crashed and will no longer boot to Windows.

My question is- Before I re-install the OS with my recovery media, do I need to do any kind of low level/standard format of the hard drive to get rid of the virus?? Or can I just do a clean install of the OS to be rid of the virus completely??

Solution
Nope, no nuking/wiping is necessary. When you run the recovery process, it is going to replace your existing .dll files, cab files, registry entries, etc. - all the things that could have been hit by a virus - with copies from the original factory image. So unless Dell placed a bootstrap loader or two in the image, you're good to go with the factory recovery. :p

cosmicempathy

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
@rgd1101- thanks for your response!

@ Prostar Computer - Any thoughts on running Kill Disk before I re-install the OS? I REALLY want to make sure there aren't any nasty virus files hiding somewhere in the hard drive. I don't need to send it to Dell, as I can download the recovery program from the Dell website and install it myself.

Nope, no nuking/wiping is necessary. When you run the recovery process, it is going to replace your existing .dll files, cab files, registry entries, etc. - all the things that could have been hit by a virus - with copies from the original factory image. So unless Dell placed a bootstrap loader or two in the image, you're good to go with the factory recovery. :p

Solution

cosmicempathy

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

Sounds good! Thank you kindly for your help! :)

TRENDING THREADS