Dell inspiron laptop ac adapter light turns off - cannot boot the laptop - 17r se

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frustratedbuyer

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
I have a dell inspiron 17r se 7720 ,
Today the battery charge was around 7% and I tried plugin the power adapter .As soon as charger plugged in the machine went off and blue indicator light in the charger also went off.

I couldn't boot the laptop again both with and without charger.

I also tried removing the battery and tried still when I plug the charger the blue light goes off.

I tried the followings.

Removed battery
Pressed power button for about 60 sec.
Inserted the battery.
Tried power on without charger
And then with charger(again charger blue light goes off).
Still no luck :??:

I still didn't get a chance to test the laptop with another charger. Also I yet to test the charger with another laptop.... So I am not sure where the problem is.:??:

-------------------------------------------------
Is the mother board dead? :-(
Is there any other suggestions I can try?

I also need to know regarding the followings.
I bought this from US from a seller and I am in another country. I can see the warranty is remaining for another 2 or 3 months. But showing it as USA and not my country.
Should I transfer the service tag to my country through that USA seller if I want to claim this warranty in my country?
Is the motherboard failure comes under the warranty in case warranty country is not a problem?

Solution

Nuzz

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
I have the same problem just a few days ago. I had more than one ac power adapter so I tried the other and same results. I am in agreeance that it is the board. However I am curious if Dell pushed out an udpate that would have caused the power to be handled incorrectly and caused this short?????????

FlorisH

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015
Same here on an inspiron 15r. Happend tody, with different chargers. Accured after attempt to update bios, through dell update. Bios flash was prevented because poweradapter was "had to be connected first". No problems befor...
So wrong update that provoced short is a possibility. Would it be possible to redo this update?

Benny_1

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
Hi
Yesterday my laptop turned off automatically and it does not power ON anymore.
I performed some TS.
I removed the battery and disconnected the adapter and pressed the power button for 20 sec and connected the adapter back to the laptop and it still won't power ON. I noticed that when the adapter was disconnected from the laptop, the adaptor had a green light and soon as I connected the adapter to the laptop the light on the adapter went off.
I contacted Dell and they told me that the Motherboard needs to be replaced and the cost would be Rs13000. I checked on Youtube and I learned to disassemble and assemble the laptop and also I sort of found that if DC jack could be an issue. I will test the DC jack today to see if its working. I just removed the DC jack cable from Dell Inspiron 15 3251. If it does not work then I may just need to replace the DC jack and see if the laptop power ON. I will post the outcome. Thanks for all the help.

Snotbubble

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.