Dell L502x shuts off unexpectedly when unplugged.

Lucas_21

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
So I've gone through three batteries; the original old stock one, a cheap chinese one I sadly purchased, and now I'm on a brand new OEM dell battery.

For unrelated reasons I wiped Windows and reinstalled. I've installed Linux along side it and the problem still persists on both OS's.

The computer says I have a full battery but if it becomes unplugged it'll give me about a minute and a half before it dies.

I can't for the life of me imagine it's the battery or the software? If anyone could steer me in the right direction that'd be great!

Hi,

You are correct when you say that it's not the battery or a software problem that has the problem. First thing you can try is to open the laptop and check the battery terminal that connects the battery in the motherboard if it has any broken solder. If everything looks okay inside the motherboard please do try changing some option inside Windows that may do the trick.
- Right click on the battery icon on the bottom right hand corner and select Power Options.
- Click on "Change plan settings then "Change advanced power settings".
- Now once Power Options is open, expand Battery and Critical battery action, set both On battery and Plugged in to "Do nothing".
- Expand Critical battery level then set both On Battery and Plugged in to 5% then click Apply and OK.
- Once done, unplug your laptop from its charger again and see if the same problem will persist or not.

Lucas_21

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Problem persists. Power seems to cut off just like if you pulled the plug on a desktop. My laptop won't restart until i plug it back in, or in at least one case, remove the battery and put it back in. As of writing this my computer says I still have 65% battery despite just losing power. I believe that number is accurate.

Can't say I noticed if bumping the laptop causes this.