Dell laptop B130 screen black, works on external crt

fa28

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Laptop screen doesn't stay on. At start up bootup "Dell" startup comes on then it goes blank. An exterior CRT monitor works. When I switch it from crt to laptop (F8) the laptop will come on for about 15 seconds then it goes blank. What's the problem?

Solution
Try removing the hard disk and see if it stays on.

Does the screen go black, or is there still a faint image on the screen (it may be very hard to see - look at it in the light). If so, your backlight may simply be failing.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Try removing the hard disk and see if it stays on.

Does the screen go black, or is there still a faint image on the screen (it may be very hard to see - look at it in the light). If so, your backlight may simply be failing.

Solution

fa28

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
When I have it on the crt I can see a very very faint image on the laptop (which I didn't expect) and when I switch it to the laptop it comes on perfect for the 10 seconds then goes blank, and again I can make out a very faint image. I thought it might be the inverter, based on this: http://www.laptopparts101.com/screen-inverter-board/ and the fact that the screen comes on for the 10 sec. How would I know if it is the backlight. Don't understand what removing the HD shows?

frozenlead

Distinguished
Removing the HDD rules out a software problem.

The inverter being bad is also a possibility. Unfortunately, you can't test which one is the problem until you get a new part and replace it. Usually inverters are cheaper, so I would start with that one - replacing the backlight involves replacing the entire LCD panel.

fa28

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Can the inverter be tested with a mutimeter? If so what is the typical voltage going out of it?
Although now that its night with lights on in the room I clearly see a faint image of the software running in the LCD and believe the backlight is what's gone. I've been reading how to change the back light and it looks like it it will be an adventure.

fa28

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
For those of you who have a backlight problem, and don't want to hassle with soldering, this company will send backlights with wires attached. ($19.00)

http://ccflwarehouse.com/faqs.html

You still have to remove the light to accurately measure and do the install. They have good tutorials for doing it youself also, including removing and soldering the ends. check FAQ a too.