Solved! Dell Laptop doesnt turn on with power adapter

G

I spilt a small amount of water on my Dell Inspiron 6400 and it no longer works. The battery was dead before this happened, so it can only powered on with the power adapter connected. What I noticed now is that the light on the power adapter "goes out" when I plug the cord into the back of the laptop and the laptop will not power on, however when I use the same power adapter on a different laptop, the light stays on when I connect it and the laptop is able to power up.

I'm wondering if the water damaged the motherboard and I will have to buy a new laptop or is this a common problem with older laptops that can be fixed easily and cheaply.

Thanks for any help

Solution
Sounds like you failed a component on the MoBo. If light goes out on the power cord when plugged in, indicates a shorted component in the laptop.
See if you can get a repair estimate, then decide if it is worth spending the money.

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Sounds like you failed a component on the MoBo. If light goes out on the power cord when plugged in, indicates a shorted component in the laptop.
See if you can get a repair estimate, then decide if it is worth spending the money.

Solution
G

Thanks for the reply