Dell laptop turns off if you move it

Status
Not open for further replies.

RR4Life

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
I've had my Dell Inspiron laptop now since October last year, and there's a problem with it where it will just turn off if I move it. If I tilt the screen forwards or backwards to a better angle, the whole machine will just instantly shut off, which is far from ideal. It also occurs if I was to pick it up and move it to another part of my desk, or it will turn off while I've put it to sleep to move it. It only happens on battery power though, not mains. It's been sent away to Knowhow to be repaired, but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Anyone know why it does this?

RR4Life

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015

It might be the contacts, that seems to be the likely problem. But the laptop still charges properly, it probably wouldn't if the contacts were damaged? It's a very occasional problem though, and not one that happens all of the time. It was fine for a few days when it came back from 'repair' by Knowhow, but it then started happening again only yesterday. I believe it to be an inherent fault as it has been happening on and off with the machine since I bought it on October.

CountMike

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
There's more to laptop battery than just battery. There are sensors for temperature and controller for charging, any of those misfires and there comes trouble. I usually test a laptop with and without battery just to troubleshoot that part.
What you described is definitive proof there's something wrong with battery or contacts.

RR4Life

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015

Within the past few minutes I looked down at the time in the dock, and now it is saying 'No Battery Detected', when there is definitely a battery installed. I am going to take it back to Currys and get them to look at it again! Thanks for the help!

RR4Life

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015

It was fixed for a while, and then the problem came back. Unfortunately the laptop was riddled with problems, and I was getting fed up of it. Eventually I took it back to Currys and even though it was past the 6 months, due to it having been sent away four times I was able to get an exchange on it, and so I swapped it for a MacBook Air, and haven't had any problems with the Mac since I got it a few months ago! Sorry that's not much help to you, but I hope you get yours sorted! Broken laptops are a pain :(

Status
Not open for further replies.