Dell laptop won't boot up

JC007

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
So recently I got asked to install an upgrade from windows 7 to 10. I booted up the disk in the beginning. It went into the main menu and gave me the options of reinstalling Windows and keeping my files. I wasn't sure I it was the right option. So I began doing some more research. I had to power of the computer manually. After that I was trying to set my laptop to UEFI mode as instructed in order to upgrade. I couldn't find it in the bios. So I used command and prompt from the windows 10 upgrade disk to figure some way to solve this. I ran several commands that I had read online to install the upgrade. It wasn't going nowhere I rebooted my laptop and now it wont boot up normal. It gives me an error. "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable" " PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM" "Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device press any key". I've tried a lot of ways to boot it up normally. At this point I just want to keep windows 7 and not loose my old files. I can still boot up the windows 10 disk but now when I try to reinstall Windows it says the drive where Windows installed is locked. Again I tried to solve this by running command and prompt and entering some commands I read on fixing this issue and still nothing. I even tried to run the repair option and nothing. The system restore option doesn't have any points. I tried recover from a media device option and it loaded. took about 2 hours to complete. And still nothing. I need to figure this out. Any help?

Solution
Please don't take me wrong, but it sounds like you have no idea what you are doing. Best chance to get al least your data back is to take the disk out, connect it to a PC and run a program like Recuva to try to recover the data. Fiddling around with partition tools is extremely dangerous and a backup always recommended.

lfkfkfkffs

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
If you used Command prompt to covert your drive to gpt you pretty much reformatted your drive so there isn't anything on there anymore. If you used a 3rd party program you can still keep your data while doing it like the Easus tool. But I'm pretty sure you just wiped your drive completely

JC007

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017

These are the steps i took firstly. "Choose Command Prompt, this will open a Command Prompt Window
Type: diskpart then press the Enter key to open the Disk Partition tool
Type: list disk then press the Enter key to show all hard disk/Solid State disks seen by the tool
NOTE: In most configurations, you will have one drive for you to install windows on, for systems with one drive, the drive will be listed as Disk 0 (Drive numbering starts at zero (0), then 1, 2, 3 etc.)
Type: select disk 0 then press the Enter key (Disk 0 is the hard drive where Windows is normally installed if you have multiple drives)
Type: clean then press the Enter key
Type: convert GPT then press the Enter key
Type: exit then press the Enter key to exit the Diskpart tool
Type: exit then press the Enter key to exit the Command Prompt window
Press and hold the power button until the system powers off (10 to 15 seconds maximum)" I didn't change much I kept running some of the same steps in order to figure this out. This makes no sense whatsoever. One minute the laptops working fine. Next thing it doesn't boot...I was trying to login to update anything necessary as I read that the bios needs to be updated and not possible. Since one little command through everything off. I'll post more I'm looking through my searches to know exactly what I searched and tried...

JC007

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
@noidea_77 What do you suggest? I did the basics nothing complex and this happens. I also used the master boot record fix. DIdn't use anything without knowing. It seems like this hardware problem at this point but everything is working smooth...

JC007

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
@Ifkfkfkffs I don't think anything happened to the data it was too quick and easy to make those commands. But I do believe there's still a chance to retrieve it if anything . I'll look into your suggestion. I found some answers where you can use a third party program burned to a disk or USB to fix it. But I will do the work myself first. I will try that program nonetheless and figure it out

noidea_77

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Please don't take me wrong, but it sounds like you have no idea what you are doing. Best chance to get al least your data back is to take the disk out, connect it to a PC and run a program like Recuva to try to recover the data. Fiddling around with partition tools is extremely dangerous and a backup always recommended.

Solution