Dell Latitude e5550

May 14, 2018
dell latitude e5550 screen is broke. im trying to install windows 10. external monitor works while gathering information but after that first restart the external screen no longer works. btw i am not running an os atm so im completely stumped because one minute its working without an os but when installing a os i cant switch between screens

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
It sounds like that Dell handles its screen selection in software. It thinks that the laptop screen is fine and displays to it, then if you want to switch displays the hotkey to do so is a software function. That is pretty unfortunate. I think they had a failure of imagination that someone would break the display and still want to use the device. Have you looked into getting a replacement screen and swapping it out yourself? A quick search shows that there are screens available for $50 or so. Instructions are also readily available from LaptopScreen.com and iFixit. At that price it might be worth your time to consider that.

May 14, 2018
yea i plan on getting a new screen but didnt want to wait for the screen before installing windows to it...lol and yes they should of made an option to use internal/external out the gate since it does have hdmi and vga ports in the back

TRENDING THREADS