Dell M6500 Question

Morgan_14

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
The manual for this laptop is unclear to me. Will someone kindly answer the following two questions for me please?

1. Will a Dell M6500 Quad boot windows with ram in the secondary slots if the primary slots are empty?

2. Does BIOS automatically recognized ram in the secondary slots, or does one need to turn those secondary slots on in BIOS via the F12 key somehow?

These slots appear to be dead.

Many thanks!

I have a Dell M4600 and I know that it will NOT properly boot if there is no RAM in the primary slots.
If yours is anything like mine, there are 4 slots for RAM. A B C and D.
I can boot properly if there is RAM in ABC and D
I can boot properly if there is RAM in AC and D
I can boot properly if there is RAM in A and C
I can boot properly if there is RAM in A and D
I can boot properly if there is RAM in A and B
same with B and C, and B and D
But if I try to boot with the RAM in just C and D, it will give error, even though it see's the RAM in BIOS
there are no BIOS configurations needed to see the RAM in slots C and D.

Morgan_14

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Morgan_14

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Thanks for lending me hand, Penquintech!

So you are saying you put a stick of 4GB in slot A and second stick of 4GB in either Slot C or D your M6500 boots windows 7 with 8GB of working ram?

I put a stick of 4GB in A. And stick in C and my machine won't run at all. However, if I put a stick in A and the second stick in D I boot windows but I only have 4GB of working ram.

I've run startup repair, I've pulled/replaced the CMOS battery, I've run both restore and DISM commands and I have reinstalled the OS. Nothing seems to make these secondary slots work.

Did I miss something?