Dell n5110 freezing & not responding

primusville

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015
Hi all
So at work I use a n5110 i7. Just recently, after about 40 mins the laptop will freeze up, yet you are still able to use the mouse. Trying to bring up the task manager takes about 10 mins, but there is nothing unsual in processes or applications. The processor is only at 1 or 2%, memory is only about 20% usage. It really doesn't look like a virus. After trying to close things with the task manager the laptop decides to remove everything from the laptop desktop, no taskbar, nothing but the mouse pointer. I am completely stumped. I have used computers for many years and never seen anything like this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
Some things you are welcome to try:

1. Run Ccleaner (both the cleaner and the registry cleaning tool). It's a free download if you don't already have it.
2. Run a disk check.
3. Open an elevated command prompt and type this command: sfc /scannow (This will run a process that will check the Windows file system's integrity.)
4. Update your drivers, if need be, and remove any unwanted or unnecessary programs.
5. Run a full scan using a good anti-virus program, such as Malwarebytes, within Safe Mode (make sure it's fully updated before scanning).
Some things you are welcome to try:

1. Run Ccleaner (both the cleaner and the registry cleaning tool). It's a free download if you don't already have it.
2. Run a disk check.
3. Open an elevated command prompt and type this command: sfc /scannow (This will run a process that will check the Windows file system's integrity.)
4. Update your drivers, if need be, and remove any unwanted or unnecessary programs.
5. Run a full scan using a good anti-virus program, such as Malwarebytes, within Safe Mode (make sure it's fully updated before scanning).

Solution