Dell precision m6400 noisy fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjw1

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Hi folks,

I have a Dell Precision M6400, with which I'm generally very pleased.

However, the fan(s) is (are) very noisy.
Dell recommended using a can of compressed air to blow out dust. Did this & seemed to get a very short-lived improvement.
Della also recommended updating the BIOS. Did this & had no effect.

I understand that there are 2 fans? A video card one & a processor one.

Has anyone else had similar problems on this or any other laptop / desktop replacement please and if so, any ideas on how I can resolve this?
The noise level is distracting & tiring.

Many thanks in advance.

Philip

rthomas67

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Same issue here. Except for one Precision 690 workstation that my wife has, every Dell I've owned gets noisy very quickly, and they use fans that you can't get from anyone but dell (which is understandable for a laptop, but inexcusable for a desktop). If you're still under warranty, just make them replace the fans about 20 times. They'll never clue in and correct this bad habit until it starts costing them more to leave it broken.

davehutt

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
On my Dell Precision M6400 I noticed the fans were runing much noiser than previous months. Yesterday the unit started to power off at weird times and I suspected it was thermal related as the heat from the bottom was almost too hot to touch! I ended up taking off the back panel (remove battery + two screws, panel slides to the front of the unit and easily comes out. It exposes two fans and two heat syncs. I used compressed air can and blew out in both directions and some pretty large chunks of dust came out. But that back on and then removed the keyboard, 1 plastic bezel and four screws. Blew out the unit, CAREFULLY with LESS air force than the fan & heat sync.

Replaced keyboard, four screws, plastic bezel and whalla, no problems since; and fans are back to a noise level that reminds me of the first 10 months of ownership. A few of those dust chunks were big enough that they probably were blocking critical cooling paths and thus the thermal shutoff.

Hope this helps.

David

pjw1

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009

Hi, No-not improved other than very short-term.

I'll follow advice on here re getting Dell to replace them.

I would follow 'davehutt's' very helpful advice but Dell said if I opened up the system, I'd invalidate the warranty!
How I would be supposed to add extra memory, etc. I have no idea!
(Don't need it with 8GB but...)

Thanks everyone.
Philip

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Hi,

I used a thin pipe cleaner (much like the one you use for cleaning your teeth but longer) and ran it in every little slot where air goes thru, hoovered and compressed air, and some tops. It's super quiet again, feels like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.