Dell Precision M6400 won't turn on SCREEN WON'T LIGHT UP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Starks

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
I on-line when all of the sudden the screen went black. Only thing lit up was the power button. I held it down to shut down. Since then, it would not turn on. I noticed the right fan would spin for about 3-4 seconds and stop. One light of 3 on the left might or might not stay lit or sometime just blink (blue)
I tried several things to fix it to no avail. I EVEN INSTALLED A NEW MOTHERBOARD, changed ram sticks, tried 2 different video cards. Of course they are old and used, so maybe not working. Anybody have any suggestions beyond buy a new video card and or a new screen?

Jim Starks

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015

Thank you webworkings. Yes I tried another power supply and as far as a battery goes, this model will work with or without a battery installed. But I added a battery fromanother M6400 anyway. Even tried another power switch. Tried another CPU and even another keyboard. I absolutly love the M6400, so I bought another used one off of Ebay. Installed my 2 hard drives from the unit that won't turn on and am using it now. Could a bad screen cause it to not even turn on? Or the CPU?Those 2 things is about all I haven't tried. Appreciate any suggestions you guys might have.

If it is a screen, is it less likely that it won't power on at all. But some laptops are weird that way. Just like some won't turn on if the battery is out or dead, even with a charger. Don't even get me started on all the variables. It is possible that the CPU was an issue, but you said you installed a new motherboard.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Feb 6, 2019
Try plugging in a VGA monitor into the laptop.
If that works, it could be an issue with the LCD screen.
I'm assuming the keyboard backlight, HDD, battery, bluetooth, wifi, mobile bb lights and power switch lights are all off, but the left-hand side battery and power leds do work. If so, it could be a power issue due to the LCD display.
Maybe a new LCD will sort it.

That is a Core 2 system, old. You could not find a full working laptop to swap your drive into? They can't be more than a 200 on eBay used if you really want to keep using this same model for some reason. However for about the same price you can upgrade to a i5 or i7 laptop, A W510 or W520 from Lenovo would be 2-300 and be a lot faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS