Solved! Dell screen dimmed way down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2019
Dell Vostro 3560.
I was watching Netflix when sudden plastic-burning smell hit me and screen dimmed way, way down. Everything else works just fine. Connecting screen to another monitor shows it's fine too. Here I am using it that way. I tried replacing the video cable but that didn't help it. I cannot detect where the burning smell came from. Suspect backlight's gone but would like possible confirmation before I possibly waste money on one.
Help :) please

Last edited:
Solution
It may still have burnt as well as the backlight. You'll only find out when you take the case apart. You'll need a 2.5mm Pozidrive screwdriver. Plot the screw holes on a piece of A4 paper and stand the screws in the appropriate circles you drew so they all go back into the same hole they left behind. An old cash or credit card can help pry into the two halves of t he lid.

Removing the screen might mean pulling it away from the lid then unscrewing the tiny screws that hold the metal brackets either side. That's a 1mm Pozi in most models. e-Bay is a good source of replace screens but the reference numbers on the back of the old one is far more accurate than many websites will give you.
Oct 19, 2019
Thanks for reply.
Ha... no nice cooking smells coming from kitchen, let alone burning ones. No, defo the laptop's plastic stink. I think the fact that I can't detect any burnt components on the inside is what holds me back most about getting a new screen.
And, yes, I tried the Fn+ brightness key, to no effect, but that won't work if the screen's shot; right?:unsure:

Oct 19, 2019
I wrote ''Connecting screen to another monitor shows it's fine too. Here I am using it that way."
So, yeah, nothing wrong with the screen. No one think it's the backlight that burned out, then? :eek:

It may still have burnt as well as the backlight. You'll only find out when you take the case apart. You'll need a 2.5mm Pozidrive screwdriver. Plot the screw holes on a piece of A4 paper and stand the screws in the appropriate circles you drew so they all go back into the same hole they left behind. An old cash or credit card can help pry into the two halves of t he lid.

Removing the screen might mean pulling it away from the lid then unscrewing the tiny screws that hold the metal brackets either side. That's a 1mm Pozi in most models. e-Bay is a good source of replace screens but the reference numbers on the back of the old one is far more accurate than many websites will give you.

Solution
Oct 19, 2019
I have completely dissassembled this Vostro, to the screen and beyond, and i knew how to do it because i had to replace one of the screen hinges last month, and the screen cable the month before! So I am dab hand at taking it apart LOL
And during all the taking apart this time I never detected anything that looked or smelled burned.
I think I will just go ahead and get a screen off eBay. Thank for the tip on the screen number. If that doesn't repair the problem, I will ... er... I will scream???

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.