Question Laptop without screen shuts down after 30 secs

Dec 7, 2021
Yes, I understand this is all my fault but I wonder if there is a way to fix it.

I have a Dell Vostro 15-3568. It was given to me because the screen was bad. Showed gray with a white line across center. Worked fine with external screen, however. So I decided to physically remove its screen so it would not block view of external. Removal wasn't exactly fun but appeared to go OK.

Now when it is powered up the external screen comes up immediately, it shows windows booting or it can be forced into BIOS with F2. All seems well for about 30 seconds. Then the machine turns off with an audible click. Very consistent.

The LED on the front edge of the keyboard gives the 3 orange 7 white signal for LCD error. Does it twice, then goes solid white just before 'click' shutdown.

Putting the screen back on is out of the question.

Any ideas?

-----Paul-----

Dec 7, 2021
Yes, I understand this is all my fault but I wonder if there is a way to fix it.

I have a Dell Vostro 15-3568. It was given to me because the screen was bad. Showed gray with a white line across center. Worked fine with external screen, however. So I decided to physically remove its screen so it would not block view of external. Removal wasn't exactly fun but appeared to go OK.

Now when it is powered up the external screen comes up immediately, it shows windows booting or it can be forced into BIOS with F2. All seems well for about 30 seconds. Then the machine turns off with an audible click. Very consistent.

The LED on the front edge of the keyboard gives the 3 orange 7 white signal for LCD error. Does it twice, then goes solid white just before 'click' shutdown.

Putting the screen back on is out of the question.

Any ideas?

-----Paul-----
Well, a little more info.

The audible click is simply the hard drive shutting off. Whatever is shutting down the system is simply killing the power to everything.

I get a signal from the power/status LED. on the front of the keyboard. First it comes on white for a couple of seconds. Then it begins a routine of two orange blinks and seven white blinks. Repeat s the series 3 times. Then I get two orange blinks and two white and t he whole thing shuts down. I presume it was part way thru blinking the series of seven when the power died.

The 2-7 code indicates it can't find the LCD. OK. But is there a way to tell it not to care? It would work just fine with an external screen ... if it would stay on.

-----Paul-----