Dell Tech Peeps Through Woman's PC via Webcam

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Also, in order for Dell to use remote desktop they issue a web link for the customer to go to as they use Bomgar. The details do sound a bit foggy as nothing was really mentioned about the tech actually remoting in.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]antemon[/nom]"Dell Connect" is the program dell uses to connect remotely[/citation]

You might as well give the URL too.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellconnect/dellconnect?s=gen

When the customer has a high speed connection its a fantastic tool. The Technician was never supposed to activate the web cam though unless asked to trouble shoot that by the customer. Even then the customer should be made aware that "Hey I am going to turn on your web cam now to test it, is that ok?"

I wonder what she was calling in for? The system was obviously booting...

At the person saying there are tons of people who give tech support nightmares.... LOL yeah its true they do seem to call more often. My very first call was so bad that the tech Y jacked with me, his jaw just dropped and he didn't know what to say about it. "Yo Yo Yo man What up?" I kid you not thats exactly how the customer responded on the phone.... I did how ever like how he gave his serial number off the case "T like in Tupac B like Biggy Smalls" lol still makes me laugh to this day.

G

not to side with the pervy Dell support guy, but this article screams PEBKAC...

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
I've done a remote session with my ISP to try to troubleshoot a routing issue not that long ago, you do need to accept it after going to their website to install GoToAssist which is the same thing Dell uses.

The Dell "technician" had no business touching the webcam during a remote session for tech support, theres no user error here.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]c0r3f1ght3r[/nom]of course they offer remote access support... I couldn't imagine working at a tech related call center without it... 90% of ppl who call are friggin idiots in the first place... I work for Verizon fios and someone didn't even know where the damn power button was on the TV...[/citation]
That's why I can't do tech support over the phone!

G

? this is why i turn my wecam to side when im not using because they are not secure

and anyway wouldnt you just pull cable that conects it or wifi if this happend?
or turn of wifi?

aletoil

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
After reading the article, it comes to "Woman Overreacts...whats new?" She smelled blood. If it was me, personally, it would be a laughing matter. On the other hand...I typically am not going to do anything important unless i'm dressed. Her fault.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]I would be upset too, unless the problem was specifically with he webcam there is no reason at all for them to turn it on, maybe she is trying to get money maybe not, but unless the problem was "I can't get a picture on my webcam" then turning it on should not be done.[/citation]
Totally agree with the whole statement.

simboo

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
In the article, the guy asked what time of day it was...

Is it just me or is this just irrelevant to the facts?

I fell like the media wanted us to think that the guy in India figured that because it was let's say 9pm, he had a slight chance to see her naked with the webcam???

Everybody from India knows that people are naked at home by 9pm sharp in USA, that's a fact!

... no other comments.

simboo

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
[citation][nom]DEXTERMAT[/nom]+1 don't buy dell[/citation]

You don't buy Dell for their customer support. That's for sure. you buy Dell because it's easy, cheap and because you don't have to deal with a dang crappy local computer store.

As a business, you buy Dell because you have your own IT departement that can deal with daily computer problems. Dell is only there to replace your broken parts and honor the warranty. That's all.

klarkmdb

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
The webcam can be turned on if the software that turns it on is used. But there are some systems that would explicitly require you to use a physical to button to activate it.

rwooster

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Why the rush to blame the customer Kevin Parrish? If it seems sketchy, your wild speculations are even more so. That's an ugly slant you write with, you should consider having that removed.

I used to work for a company that did HP's outsourced tech support. We had some serious weirdos working there. The guy in the cube next to me actually believed he was a werewolf! No kidding. I do not find it implausible at all that one of these could be a voyeur wanting a sneaky peek.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Very Interesting, if I had to speculate on such a matter, it could go either way, operator/user error or Dell support went rogue. Whatever it may be, this is bad in each direction. She could of been lying or he could be a serious perv.

techd

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
First of all,a technician cannot access a customer's laptop without the customer's permission. Before a tech can do remote access to customer's laptop,cust have to download the appl. in his side via dellconnect.com. after downloading,the tech has to give a code to the customer and for the tech to access the customer's computer - the customer needs to enter that seven digit code in his/her side.Once,accessed,end user can then see a message that says:Screen is being viewed.

G

"i bet she was fat" probably not...or else he wouldn't have made the naked comment. instead, he would've flipped over backwards in his chair and knocked himself out.

G

in the first place, dell techs are not allowed to put their noses where it's not needed. I bet the woman was calling because of a problem with her webcam. And of course, to test it's functionality, one of the things to do would be to open the webcam software.

and yeah, why in the world would you even stand naked in front of your computer while talking to a technical support representative? That was a stupid thing to do. But it was also a bad call on the tech's part to laugh at the woman.

G

I happen to know how remote access is done. Permission is needed and the end user needs to click on "allow" first in order for remote access to be done. A key code is given by a technician to a customer wherein the customer needs to input it in her computer. A dell tech could never gain remote access as he/she pleases because an end user needs to input a bunch of codes first in order for this to happen. obviously this is another one of those worthless urban legends wherein it's only purpose is for amusement. And yes, this could be just another way of the person to get easy bucks..

Status
Not open for further replies.