Dell Vostro 1520 battery not charging with new Dell battery and new Dell power adapter.

Satman858

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016
I bought a new Dell power adapter and a new Dell battery, but the battery will not charge. Just like before I bought the new adapter and battery, when I plug in the new Dell power adapter with the new Dell battery installed, the battery status light comes on "Blue" for about 3 seconds then goes out, and the battery does not charge. The power adapter keep the notebook running by way of the power adapter, but because the blue status light goes out after 3 seconds the battery does not charge at all.

Is it a Dell battery or a 3rd party one? Issue may be with the laptop not the battery or charger. Connection from laptop to battery may be bad, look over the connections make sure they are not bent or corroded. May need to get the system serviced, either motherboard fixed or replaced.

Satman858

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016

Both the Power adapter and the battery are new Genuine Original products. There no recognition issue on neither product to the laptop.

Satman858

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016
I left my laptop on last by mistake with the screen closed down and the adapter plugged in, and the blue battery status light was blinking when I woke up. As soon as I opened lid and pulled the screen back up the blue status light went off once again. Now I am back to getting the same problem over again. If I take the power adapter plug out, then plug it back in the battery status lights lights blue for 3 seconds, then goes out, thus it not being able to charge the battery to full power. I currently have 36% power after getting a new battery in the mail yesterday having 37% charge will I first installed it into my laptop. Maybe the new battery I got in that had a 37% charge on it, is a bad battery. What do you guys think?

Satman858

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016

Ok, I did that jarotech, now what do I do?

Satman858

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016

I restarted it as you told me to do the last time, and nothing changed. The only thing that is now different is now if the power adapter is unplugged the picture of the battery does not show up in the system tray on the right hand bottom side of the laptop, The ON AC power plug photo stays there.

Satman858

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016

By saying a charging circuit or you referring to a DC Jack?

Also, I must tell you the Blue status light is now flashing constantly after closing the lid with Laptop left on. Why do you think this is happening, and could that also be related to the same problem you mention above?

Satman858

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016

The battery status light is the one blinking. The power light left of the battery status light is a dim solid blue light.

Satman858

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016

If I unplug the power adapter and plug it back in, it goes back to the blue light going on for 3-4 seconds then goes out permanently and flashes no longer with no battery charging. Yesterday the plug came out without me realizing it, and the battery is now down to the 10% remaining setting I have it programmed to in the battery setting.

Can you answer the questions mentioned below that I asked in a previous post.

By saying a charging circuit or you referring to a part called a DC Jack?

Also, I must tell you the Blue status light is now flashing constantly after closing the lid with Laptop left on. Why do you think this is happening, and could that also be related to the same problem you mention as a charging circuit?

The charging circuit has many components, the DC jack is one of them, you have an integrated circuit controlling the power of the motherboard, it's responsible for charging and switching between the adapter to the battery when the adapter is removed. For the state of the blue LED for the battery, the LED follows what the integrated circuit is doing, when it's off the battery is not charging.

Have you tried to charge the battery overnight, even when the battery light is turned off?

Satman858

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016

No, is there another way to charge the battery, besides plugging in the power adapter?

I ask this because when the power adapter is plugged in it won't charge it, because the battery light status button only stays lit blue for a few seconds, then when it goes out it no longer charges the battery.

I always have the power adapter plugged in when I shut down the laptop at night. When working correctly and the battery is low, the blue light will come on and stay solid blue until the battery becomes fully charged. With the laptop on or off, the blue status light will only come on a few seconds before going out.

The new battery is always connected to the laptop, so, when the laptop is on, if you remove the adapter, it turns off. I'm asking that question, because maybe the circuit for the LED for the battery is defective and the battery is charging even if the LED is off.

Satman858

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016

When the laptop is ON if I remove the adapter it will go over to battery power and it drains the battery down. Currently the new battery that came in the other day at 37% is down to 9% with the critical battery popup displaying in my tray when the adapter is unplugged.

Is there any other way I might be able to charge the battery?