Dell Vostro won't turn on

Cody Horton

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Hey all I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with a friends laptop. It's a Dell vostro 3360 and the problem is that it wont go past post. They were originally using a power brick that wasn't made for this computer it was a Bestek BTA07C1 70 watt. So I ordered 1 made for this laptop it was an OEM 65 watt http://.

The power brick seems to be nice but I still can't get it to pass post. Also the battery on the laptop is completely out of charge. I was able to get it to post a few times with the other (too powerful) power brick, but have had no luck with this one.

I've tried to hold down the power button with no luck (I think this is suppose to reset it or something) but still it won't post. Any suggestions are appreciated thanks.

Solution
So... can you get into the BIOS? You say you can't get it pass post, then it wont post, so is it getting worse?

If you can get into the BIOS, make sure it is detecting the HDD and RAM. Its possible that using the wrong charger could have damaged them. As for the battery having no charge, I've had that happen more times than I can count. Sometimes its a BIOS update needed and others the battery has just gone bad. But using a incorrect charger could have killed the battery as well.

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
So... can you get into the BIOS? You say you can't get it pass post, then it wont post, so is it getting worse?

If you can get into the BIOS, make sure it is detecting the HDD and RAM. Its possible that using the wrong charger could have damaged them. As for the battery having no charge, I've had that happen more times than I can count. Sometimes its a BIOS update needed and others the battery has just gone bad. But using a incorrect charger could have killed the battery as well.

Solution

Cody Horton

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

No I can't it does a dell loading screen and then just sits there. I can't enter the BIOS either, I hit F2 and it just says preparing to enter setup and then just sits there.