Dell XPS 14 vs. Samsung Series 7 Chronos

krgmer6910

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I'm just trying to get as many opinions as possible. I am looking for a mid range ultra-book that will be used primarily for a work computer with some mild gaming. Budget is 1000 dollars before taxes or shipping. I like the 14-15 in form factor, a solid sleek and professional build and would just like it to be able to play stuff like DotA 2 and CS:GO on relatively high settings. I am a chemistry graduate student so I will be doing data analysis and giving presentations regularly with the machine so i needs to have decent processing power. The 2 I have it narrowed down to are

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA22F0P69901

where each have their own pro's and cons. The drives on both systems are mediocre but I am relatively tech savvy so changing it out wont be an issue. The connectivity on the Samsung worries me with the mini-VGA port. Finding a dongle doesn't seem to be the easiest thing where the XPS just has a mini-Displayport which is easy. The glossy screen on the XPS isn't ideal where the Samsung has a matte. The Samsung also has a DVD drive (if i would ever actually need one) as well as slightly better specs. Just any opinions or impressions for either would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

krgmer6910

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
You are correct about the Samsung drive but the Dell actually has a 5400 RPM hybrid drive. But thanks for the input! I'm leaning more towards the Samsung currently

yillbs

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
The chronos has a 5400 drive too. I actually own the chronos. Mine is the 15.6 touchscreen. I too wanted the xps. Glad I went with chronos. Battery rocks. Its ultra thin. Light and it games like a beast. I added an ssd and id never get a different laptop. :) I lobe my chronos

yillbs

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
After actually looking at your links thats significantly different than mine. I have the radeon 8770 and 1tb drive. No dvd drive and its lighter.. guess my ownership doesntmatter in this case. Buttt id still go with the samsung