Dell XPS 15 9560, should I buy a new laptop from Dell, or chose an alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valerio_2

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017
Hi everyone, I searched a place to ask questions and people advice on buying a new laptop, I just hope I'm in the right place. I need to buy a new laptop for video editing and 2d animation for work and light gaming, that it have a powerfull CPU for rendering and a decent GPU. Doing some research I found the new Dell XPS 15 9560 to be the best laptop on the market. Since I don't need 4K nor touchscreen, I have chosen the FHD version from the official website with the kaby lake i7 7700HQ, 16gb of ram, gtx 1050 with 4gb and 512gb of SSD. The problem is, many people have experienced a bad customer service with Dell when something went wrong on their products (like Dell saying that screen bleeding wasn't a probem and shouldn't be fixed or sending it to repair and keeping it on hold for months and the problems not be fixed).
So, considering the fact that buying this laptop there is a possibility that I can run into those problems, I want to ask to the people who bought this laptop if they had come across those issues and their experience with the customer care, and, with those circumstances, if I should buy this laptop. Because from my perspective is a very impressive laptop for 1799€ (something like 1944$). The second thing I want to ask is, if no one will reccomend me to buy this laptop, what are the alternatives that have a price tag similar to the XPS 15. I already searched for msi, asus and hp but there was a common issue: better graphics but lower battery life, loud fan noise when full speed, weight and thickness or the price too high for my budget. Because I need a laptop to carry around and not breaking my shoulder carrying it.
I really appreciate if anyone would like to help me make the right decision.

Solution
It does not really matter where you buy it from, for warranty service it will be send to Dell. For a light system with a good video card and CPU there will not be many at all. Razer has some decent sized gaming laptops. You won't really find a quad core CPU, fast video card along with light weight and low fan speed and high battery life. The physics of power needs and cooling just won't allow you to get a system like that easily.

Valerio_2

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017

Thanks for the reply. So I started a new search on laptops, another thing I need for the laptop is that it has to be professional looking (or at least without strange shapes) and has to be as thin as possible. I found the MSI GS63 7RF STEALTH PRO (the kaby lake version) meeting these requirements. But now I have another question, is it really worth it to buy a gaming laptop for video editing? Also, is the Prestige Series more adapted for the work I need? They cost much more less than the gaming laptops and looks more genuine.

You don't need a gaming laptop for video editing but you do want one with a good CPU and video card to help with the rendering. A workstation laptop works well, but they are equally as expensive as a gaming laptop.

Lenovo has an "s" model in their workstation line that is slim, or at least will be coming out with one soon. You just want a real quad core or Xeon CPU in the system for processing video.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.